Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, he loved bears and created a virtual bear video library. But did he do any actual research? Did he advance bear science in any way? Was he anything more than a guy with serious issues?

Thoughts? Comments?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
Ok, he loved bears and created a virtual bear video library. But did he do any actual research? Did he advance bear science in any way? Was he anything more than a guy with serious issues?

Thoughts? Comments?
I'm sure he must have done some research, but after watching that movie all I could do was to assume he was pretty nutso. Fascinating movie though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
i disagree he led the girl to her death. in fact she chose to be there, and to stay when he got attacked (as I understand it)

however, he was one wierd dude!

cool movie however, sort of a downer at the end though.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
he was simply a wackadoo

·
Registered
56 Posts
CC09 said:
i
cool movie however, sort of a downer at the end though.....

I kinda liked the irony :D

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought the movie was pretty intriguing. I especially thought it was interesting how his own idea of himself was VERY different from the reality. I did a bit of google-fu, and it seems that his practices and methods were pretty much universally slammed by the rest of the bear-science community.

As far as getting the girl killed, she apparently did want to leave. And they would have left had he not freaked-out at the airport. I think there's some culpability on his part, but by and large, she was there of her own free will.

Overall, I found the whole thing to be kind of creepy. :eek:

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
It seemed like he might have been semi-suicidal at the beginning. I get this from some of his earlier videos talking about the danger. The problem was that he survived those first years, and the "project" took on a life of its own. He got moderately famous over a near suicidal stunt.

He did nothing for scientific understanding of the bears. From the movie there's no systematic data gathering and no analysis. Mostly he just acclimatized bears to him/people, which is part of the reason for signs saying "Do not feed the bears."

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
PdxMark said:
It seemed like he might have been semi-suicidal at the beginning. I get this from some of his earlier videos talking about the danger. The problem was that he survived those first years, and the "project" took on a life of its own. He got moderately famous over a near suicidal stunt.

He did nothing for scientific understanding of the bears. From the movie there's no systematic data gathering and no analysis. Mostly he just acclimatized bears to him/people, which is part of the reason for signs saying "Do not feed the bears."
Well he had an addictive personality to begi with. Ex alcoholic, drug addict before the bears. I think he traded one addiction for another. Agree about his "project". It might have made sense to him, but not to anyone else. The rangers seemed to treat him as a harmless eccentric for the most part, but he was convinced there was some kind of conspiracy against him and his "research". The scenes of him ranting and raving about the park service policies showed him to be irrational and paranoid.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I started rooting for the bears to maul him about 2 minutes into it. The best part was the interview with the helicopter pilot talking about what a nutjob he was.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Anyone who runs around the woods playing with foxes, saying stupid **** like 'I love you spirit' (to the aforementioned fox), and gets that close to bears that many times is either a complete idiot or has serious mental problems. Or both. If he hadn't been killed he'd just be another random crazy with a camera.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
the Inbred said:
the helicopter pilot came off as an *******.
no kidding, "the bears must've thought that he was mentally retarded or something". Yeah, I'm sure the bears know a retarded person from a normal person. Dumbass.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
BenWA said:
no kidding, "the bears must've thought that he was mentally retarded or something". Yeah, I'm sure the bears know a retarded person from a normal person. Dumbass.
Everyone knows Alaskan bears are smarter than the average bear......

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
Now THAT if f*ckin funny.

Post of the week, even if *ayne won't approve.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts