Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was almost home when my 5.9SL let out these 3 loud <crack> noises- sort of like what I imagine the sound of cracking carbon is like. Not only was there sound but I could feel a sort of snap through the pedals, saddle and bars. Not a good experience :(

I then noticed the rear wheel was rubbing the chain stay so I thought something had happened to my spokes although they were all intact. Made a beeline for the nearest bike store and the guy said it was the frame. See pics below. The join between the right drop out and chain stay seems to have failed making the RHS chain stay length longer hence rear wheel now rubs the chain stay.

Naturally, I will be contacting my Trek dealer when he opens (closed on Sundays) looking to claim on the lifetime frame warranty. Would be interested if anyone else has encountered this problem and any advice on how to approach it. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
3,096 Posts
Our shop had a similar case, although it was the seat stay (drive-side) that separated in an identical fashion. Trek repaired the frame and had it back to us in less than two weeks.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
appreciate that

thanks for the advice guys. seems like a real rare occurrance. couldn;t find anyone who had seen such a fault before when asking around. to be able to get advice from this site is great. :p

dropped the 5.9SL off to the store today. it will be referred to Trek tomorrow for a warranty claim. hope I can get a quick solution too- my alternate is a HEAVY SLOW HYBRID that feels like I am riding underwater when spinning it up :mad:

· Registered
125 Posts
PedalSpinner said:
thanks for the advice guys. seems like a real rare occurrance. couldn;t find anyone who had seen such a fault before when asking around. to be able to get advice from this site is great. :p

dropped the 5.9SL off to the store today. it will be referred to Trek tomorrow for a warranty claim. hope I can get a quick solution too- my alternate is a HEAVY SLOW HYBRID that feels like I am riding underwater when spinning it up :mad:
Enjoy the Heavy Slow Hybrid. I commute 75 miles per week on a bike that is ~10 pounds heavier than my weekend ride with an additional 15-20 lbs on my back.

When I go out for my weekend rides it feels like there is nothing beneath me.

· Registered
125 Posts
Most days I carry my laptop & power cords (bettery life sucks), U lock, cable, full change of clothes (shoes, belt, towel, lunch, toiletries) breakfast and a huge assortment of tools. I have been carrying all of these tools for quite a while and have never used them. The first day I decide to to leave them at home is the day I will need them.

Overkill, without a doubt. I still make my commute in less time than if I drive.

· Registered
401 Posts
JWRB said:
Most days I carry my laptop & power cords (bettery life sucks), U lock, cable, full change of clothes (shoes, belt, towel, lunch, toiletries) breakfast and a huge assortment of tools. I have been carrying all of these tools for quite a while and have never used them. The first day I decide to to leave them at home is the day I will need them.

Overkill, without a doubt. I still make my commute in less time than if I drive.
I recommend keeping a second set of power cords (probably quite cheap on Ebay), a toiletries kit and a few fresh changes of clothes at work. If you drive to work at all during the week, use your <i>car</i> to transport clothes back and forth.

As for tools, I suspect a basic, modern, (relatively) lightweight multitool will keep you covered pretty well.

Also, you might consider leaving your lock(s) locked up on the bike rack. That way, you'd only have to carry <i>keys</i>.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Here's to a great season of commuting! :)

· Registered
125 Posts
This is starting to looking like something in the commuting forum:)

Good idea on the power cords and toiletries. Regarding clothes, I have stopped driving into work. Tried it a month ago and went nuts sitting in traffic, not worth the stress.

Leave my tools, no, please don't make me do that...

What if I break a spoke and don't have my wire snips...
What if I break my chain and don't have chain-breaker, additional links and pins...
What if my fenders get all out of wack and I don't have my adjustable wrench and pliers...
What if I my hubs get loose...
What if I get more than one flat...
What if...

Oh the anxiety
Heart racing
Vision blurry
Must - inventory - tools

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.