Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first one in yesterday. Unlike the weekends I need sunshine and warm to get motivated to ride late in the evening. Finally hit the 60's yesterday and with the added day-light now that the clocks have changed finally was able to go out and do a 40 mile ride. Last year I was able to start about a week earlier (March 30th). Anyone else start doing after-work training rides?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I started super early this year. February, got some lights on my bike and myself. My kickr is now collecting dust. I was doing them on my cx bike but due to a car taking me out on it, I am back on my road bike.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what makes it hard in NY is Henry Hudson Drive(aka River road is shut till May forcing us to use 9W) if we want to leave the city.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Just got my first one in yesterday. Unlike the weekends I need sunshine and warm to get motivated to ride late in the evening. Finally hit the 60's yesterday and with the added day-light now that the clocks have changed finally was able to go out and do a 40 mile ride. Last year I was able to start about a week earlier (March 30th). Anyone else start doing after-work training rides?
This is usually the week I start. I had an early evening meeting yesterday so I was able to take an extended lunch and get some miles in the full sun. The part I dislike about after rides this time of year (besides sun glare) is that the temperatures drop quickly after the start of the ride.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got lucky. Temperatures didnt' start dropping till about an hour after I got back. Noticed it when I took the dog for his evening walk

·
Registered
580 Posts
I started super early this year. February, got some lights on my bike and myself. My kickr is now collecting dust. I was doing them on my cx bike but due to a car taking me out on it, I am back on my road bike.
Sorry to hear about the car incident, sounds like your ok though.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Not sure I'd call it training since I don't race or have any organized rides, planned, but Tuesday I got off work early and rode up Sierra Road while waiting out commute traffic.

This was after a company-paid team lunch followed by a company-sponsored celebration event where beer was served. Brutal ride.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Absolutely,, Sprints around the lake on Mondays and Thursdays!!! I love Long days and Summer!!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dare I ask, does a stationary bike 40-50 minutes at aerobic level count?
Weather in SE WI too crappy. And binge watching King Fu while doing so!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,442 Posts
My first after work ride was going to be yesterday, but other things came up. This is about the time of year when I can start getting a 15-20 mile ride in before sunset.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that mid-week ride is what really gets my performance up. hard to improve when only riding once or twice a weekend and i do not like indoor trainers.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I've got a little over a 1000 miles in this year -- almost all of it commuting. It was a nice winter. March was the worst month.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Feb was fantastic. I got some great rides in that month before March came and brought bad weather. although I did get two nice rides in on two mid-week mild days which came on some time off. If it hadn't been for Feb I would have ridden terribly in Spain two weeks ago.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Hammer rides start next Tuesday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts