Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
499 Posts
I actually purchased my 1st one last year, a Felt F55. It rides perfectly fine and is comfortable even on long rides, of course it has carbon seatstays and fork so I'm sure that helps.
I had tried riding a few many years back and found them to be extremely harsh, even on test rides. I think the technology has changed and reduced the harshness in the ride.:thumbsup:

· Registered
1,123 Posts
Have all 3. Carbon, Al(with Carbon Fork) and Ti(with carbon fork). The calfee Carbon is by far my personal favorite. Floowed by the Ti and very closely the AL. I can ride all 3 all day if needed...:)

· Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Not a fan of alu

I test rode an alu/C race frame. Rode very well, light and responsive, a great race frame (a Van Dessel, fwiw) but the big, hollow alu frame tubes made every front derailleur shift sound like a loud clunk. No stealthy shifting of chainrings in the peleton with that bike (like that matters!) For my recreational habits, it I prefer a frame material with a little more feng shui.

My bottom line is that you get the bike and material that suit your needs and preferences best. "They" say you can build the feel/performance you want with any material (except perhaps weight may be different). If "they" are right, they the manufacturers of what I want enough to own only use steel and carbon.

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
HBPUNK said:
those that have ridden carbon, steel, ti and still feel aluminum frames are personally better

talk about aluminum preference in general
I think at the top end, aluminum bikes give nothing away to steel or CF aside possibly for longevity. I have all three, rack and custom, and any one of my AL bikes can do anything that the others can do. I prefer steel "just because", but the right paint job on the right AL frame is often too hard to refuse.

· Registered
149 Posts
I bought a new bike this year. I was looking at alum carbon bikes. I ended up going with Alum because I like the feel of and the carbon didn't ride that much smother then in the alum. So I went with Alum over carbon..

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
yup

I'm a Clydesdale and I can pretty much flex anything. Al for its strength to weight to cost.
MTB -AL full suspension
Cyclocross - 1 Al, 1 Scandium- light and stiff and abuser friendly,scandium far nicer of a ride
Road - 1 Al, 2 Steel.(1 steel is vintage)
Track - Steel

· Registered
36 Posts
the only carbon i can afford is . . .

the only carbon i can afford is pencil lead. as a college student i have to go aluminum as carbon won't fit in my wallet. the ride may be a bit more harsh but i have no complaints, i love it (though i have never ridden a full carbon frame).

bilydu

· Registered
460 Posts
HBPUNK said:
those that have ridden carbon, steel, ti and still feel aluminum frames are personally better

talk about aluminum preference in general
Not only do I prefer AL, I rode my AL frame & fork fixie on a century a few weeks ago. Great fun, no regerets. I also think the stock seat on my Langster is quite nice, which most people seem to hate, so go figger.

Gordon

· Registered
3,129 Posts
I don't prefer aluminium, but I've never had any reason to complain about the ride of any of the AL bikes I have--any of them would be good for all-day rides. Haven't had any durability issues yet, either.

...but I still prefer steel :D :thumbsup:

· Registered
168 Posts
Aluminum bikes..............

Being on my first road bike in twenty years I don't have anything to compare it to.....but....looking at the posts it would seem that the majority of replies are from people under 50.

The reason I mention this, is because the group I ride with most often is older and when they have switched to steel or carbon or some combination they say it is more comfortable than the aluminum they came from.

The point being, age might a factor in comfort. Younger people can often tolerate more without it being uncomfortable.

As for me, I'm trying hard to scrape up the money to buy a Soma frame to give steel a try. My Trek 1200 beats me up on anything over 40 miles and I would like to try longer rides.

http://folding.stanford.edu

Good luck,
Strider

· Spin Diesel
262 Posts
For road, yes however.........

both my MTBs are Carbon Hardtails.

I test rode a Carbon road bike last year and was not impressed, I'm sure it works just fine for others. I just did not get the snappy response I've come to love about my Alu frame. I've also owned a Scanduim/Carbon frame and didn't like it much either

However on dirt is an entirely different matter, I don't think I could ever go back to aluminum (at least not a hardtail)..........it rides so harsh! In addition to my 2 Carbon MTBs I also own a steel Hardtail

· Banned
657 Posts
I drive 4 sports cars & have 5 Al bikes, 1 titanium, 2 carbon & 1 steel. I expect a stiff ride w/ instant responsiveness & great vehicle to ground action. I wouldn't have it any other way. I love Al.

· Registered
1,158 Posts
I like alu

I have to admit, I haven't tried carbon, but compared to my former, longish wheelbase, handmade columbus slx roadbike, my current full aluminum frame is smoother and more comfortable. Even on chipseal, I don't find the vibration too bad on my current bike. Idon't see how a ride could be dramatically better with carbon.

However, I am open to changing my mind if and when I get to try a carbon frame.
________
Water Bongs

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.