Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· your text here
13,203 Posts
i stop and read them when i can. in illinois there has been a major project to make the old ones PC. some markers hailing the defeat of savages by white men have been taken down. and some are currently changing text. colored/*****/n!##r to black or african american.

imagine coming across a marker with the n word on it and explaining it to your kids.

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,365 Posts
I even stop to read them on motor trips. If I'm doing a solo ride and the situation is right, I stand there at the marker and read every word.

1,130 Posts
I love those things...

... as it is always interesting to see what happened way back when.

Even more interesting to learn what locals think is important about the history of their little crossroad.

I don't know about Texas, but in some states those highway markers are notoriously bad about history. That probably applies more to the older markers than the new ones, and the one above looks awfully new and well-documented.

Still good reading, though.

I'm surprised the Baptists let them put that up!

· Seat's not level
19,392 Posts
weltyed said:
i stop and read them when i can. in illinois there has been a major project to make the old ones PC. some markers hailing the defeat of savages by white men have been taken down. and some are currently changing text. colored/*****/n!##r to black or african american.

imagine coming across a marker with the n word on it and explaining it to your kids.
Nothing like re-writing history to make a point, or avoid talking about one.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I'll stop and read some in Colorado, but only when I'm on my bike.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
You were in Dallas????

yup, hot and windy... work mtg all weekend, no bike :mad:
went to Dealey Plaza before it got going, took only 30min
I guess I coulda ridden inside the huge 1600-room hotel...
did get to drive by Texas Stadium and fly over the new one

· your text here
13,203 Posts
there is some controversy over changing markers

some people wanted to leave them they way they are as a symbol for how things have changed, but some were worried people might not understand things have changed. so some people suggested creating new markers to point out the wrongs on the standing ones. but they eventually decided to re-write history.

like i said, imagine trying to explain not only the touchy subjects to your kids, but also inaccuracies. some people could do it. others wouldnt know.

we have always been at war with eurasia.

Chain said:
Nothing like re-writing history to make a point, or avoid talking about one.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Pet peeve / Rant. "Historical" is a word recently invented by illiterate idjuts. And of course, the mass media has taken it and run with it. Let's stick with "Historic". kthxby

/rant

· duh...
9,749 Posts
well that marker was apparently put up by the Texas Historical Commission... so technically it IS a historical marker. ah, historical, hysterical, what's the difference?

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
I call 'em hysterical markers. In Texas there's a book called "why stop" by a guy that visited every single one of them. Over 900.

You find them in really unexpected places, too. A few miles from my house there's an old settler cemetary that you can't see from the road, can't get there without trespassing (ok there's some bandit singletrack there) and not one but 2 hysterical markers.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
What amazes me about these signs is how new "history" is in the southwest. Late 1800's to early 1900's is about it...

I rode last summer in Windor,CT. The historical signs and house signs were all from the 1600's-1700's

mere babes... you need to do a Euro trip. stuff from the 1600-1700's aren't even worthy of signs.

I've seen some signs that go on about Joe Blow (or whatever), and end with "Joe Blow lived 2 miles east of here." WTF is that???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.