Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eddy Merckx relaunches steel bikes - BikeRadar

The EDDY70 frames will be built with Columbus XCr seamless stainless steel tubes, TIG welded in the Eddy Merckx Cycles workshops and paired with a carbon Columbus fork.
Johan Vranckx, a bike welder for 35 years, trained with De Rosa in Italy, then Litespeed in the USA. Each EDDY70 frame takes him about two days to build, including shaping, filing and welding each tube

The bikes will be built with custom-edition Campagnolo Super Record components and Campagnolo Bora Ultra 35 wheels. The EDDY70 logo is also emblazoned on the cockpit, seatpost and saddle.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Nope - not even for a second. Way too expensive for me.

But if someone wanted to surprise me for my birthday in March ... :D

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Not me. But I am considering a custom geometry steel bike fabricated from the same or comparable tubing built by a USA designer with equal experience.

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
No, someone please have me commited if I do. Right now I don't really see the need to pay and extra $9k or so and not get custom geo (as I would having the same thing made elsewhere) because they call it 'limited' and 'custom' edition frame and group.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
No, someone please have me commited if I do. Right now I don't really see the need to pay and extra $9k or so and not get custom geo (as I would having the same thing made elsewhere) because they call it 'limited' and 'custom' edition frame and group.
I agree that is a lot to pay for something just because they aren't making many. You could certainly get a custom SS bike for a lot less

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Thought about it...undecided right now.
With only 70 available, you probably won't have to be thinking about too long.

Just looked - 17 of the 70 serial numbers currently available.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With only 70 available, you probably won't have to be thinking about too long.

Just looked - 17 of the 70 serial numbers currently available.
I would not read into that too much. Anyone who has bought a NYC condo in the past ten years knows that the seller only makes available a fraction of the units at any one time, to create a sense of urgency. Merckx may simply have decided to wait before selling the other 43. They probably want to create hype for the next product the release.

For what its worth, I think this is a good direction for the company. The have not competed well in carbon and doing niche steel products sounds interesting although I imagine they'll lower the price and increase volume on their next project.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
For what its worth, I think this is a good direction for the company. The have not competed well in carbon and doing niche steel products sounds interesting although I imagine they'll lower the price and increase volume on their next project.
You may be right. With many high-ends bike companies selling similar bikes made in the same handful of factories as everyone else, at least its something different although the price is insane. Maybe offer a retro steel frame as well

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
My custom steel frame came in around $1700, and I don't think it is for lack of quality. How on earth do they justify such prices?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Not me. But I am considering a custom geometry steel bike fabricated from the same or comparable tubing built by a USA designer with equal experience.
Do it. My only regret is waiting until I was 50.

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
$17k for a stock-sized, TIG welded steel framed bike?

You could get a FULL CUSTOM TIG'd or lugged steel framed bike with the same components for well under $10k.

At that price, it's obvious Eddy is senile.
Its obvious you don't understand marketing and branding.... that price is not about what it costs to make that bike in terms of materials, components and time. That price is about being a fan of Eddy and owning something limited. It is not meant for everyone. Look at any high end product... ferarri's, lambo's, budget's, fancy women's shoes or handbags. The question is never about what it costs to make... its about what does it cost to OWN.

My custom steel frame came in around $1700, and I don't think it is for lack of quality. How on earth do they justify such prices?
Simple... they don't justify it. I'm 100% certain they will sell all of the frames and the people who buy them will think the price is perfectly justifiable.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
or reflection?

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
Its obvious you don't understand marketing and branding.... that price is not about what it costs to make that bike in terms of materials, components and time. That price is about being a fan of Eddy and owning something limited. It is not meant for everyone. Look at any high end product... ferarri's, lambo's, budget's, fancy women's shoes or handbags. The question is never about what it costs to make... its about what does it cost to OWN.

Simple... they don't justify it. I'm 100% certain they will sell all of the frames and the people who buy them will think the price is perfectly justifiable.
Actually it's obvious Peter does understand marketing and branding. He recognized that it's just a bunch of fluff and words that make it more expensive than the actual product value and to me that exibits an undertanding of marketing. Anyone who thinks the fluff and words justify the price would be the person who doesn't understand it's marketing or is willfully being fooled by it IMO.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Value is what the market will pay for it. If the market will pay $17,500 for one of 70 of these bikes, then it's value and worth is $17,500.

The reason for the high price is that it includes membership in a fairly unique club -- one of 70 members worldwide. There are people with money who will pay for that privilege. I'm not one of them. It's not just the frame that's unique, all of the components including wheel rims, Campy gear and Cinelli cockpit are uniquely marked with the M70 logo.

If you're looking at this as a just another branded bike to ride, you're missing the point.

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
Value is what the market will pay for it. If the market will pay $17,500 for one of 70 of these bikes, then it's value and worth is $17,500.

The reason for the high price is that it includes membership in a fairly unique club -- one of 70 members worldwide. There are people with money who will pay for that privilege. I'm not one of them. It's not just the frame that's unique, all of the components including wheel rims, Campy gear and Cinelli cockpit are uniquely marked with the M70 logo.

If you're looking at this as a just another branded bike to ride, you're missing the point.
The frame isn't unique. Any half decent builder could make the same thing. As for the value of an M70 logo and being a member of a unique club......good lord.

I think I'll wait until the double Tourbillon frame and Campy shifting includes a few complications.
It's a friggin bike. Only the watch industry has been so successful in getting people to assign value to marketing BS that has nothing to do with quality.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts