Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
What the what???
12,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, just curious what you thought.

For a platform pedaler like me, who wouldn’t mind being a little faster but doesn’t want to become one with the bike, it seems like a compromise… or a complete waste of money. :)

·
gazing from the shadows
27,175 Posts
I got curious, so I poked around some reviews.

The ideal person for these seems to be a platform user who wants a bit more of a connection to the bike. So for you, it might work out. If you think of them as stickier flats, and ride them that way.

People who come from the other direction don't like them much. True of road and mtb. Too easy to pull out.

I was trying to think of when I might like them. I guess if I was doing a lot of mtb downhills, and was riding in a style where I put a leg out, they might be nice. I never do that, but if I did a lot of lift runs? I can see the attraction I guess. If nothing else, a town bike with these and some dedicated shoes that are flexible would be a back up use. I think they would work well for a commute bike too. More for easy/moderate riding, that's how I would put it.

·
Super Moderator
40,092 Posts
The real question here is why aren't you riding on Pitbull Pedals?*

*accept no substitutes!

Reactions: ogre

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,036 Posts
The real question here is why aren't you riding on Pitbull Pedals?*

*accept no substitutes!
To be fair, Magped actually seems like a more functional concept than Pitbull.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,036 Posts
Sarcasm is hard on the internet, but I'm pretty sure that's what XXL was doing. In the immortal words of Foghorn Leghorn: "Stick with me son, it's a joke!"
I kinda figured sarcasm. I just wanted to stress that I actually found this concept a lot more innovative than Pitbull.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Decent platforms + sticky soles + decent technique = you’re fully attached to your bike, no float at all. I can understand why dh/enduro racers use clip in flats, but mortals aren’t chasing seconds.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,087 Posts
Sarcasm is hard on the internet, but I'm pretty sure that's what XXL was doing. In the immortal words of Foghorn Leghorn: "Stick with me son, it's a joke!"
I say...I say.....that boy's about as bright as a bag of hammers!

FWIW, nobody has mentioned the obvious, but......those pedals look like they're kinda heavy.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,036 Posts

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
I thought the whole point of using platforms was to be able to wear any shoes and walk easy? Neither appears to be the case with these......although you could probably manage to pedal them with street shoes with no magnetic attraction going on of course.

·
What the what???
12,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought the whole point of using platforms was to be able to wear any shoes and walk easy? Neither appears to be the case with these......although you could probably manage to pedal them with street shoes with no magnetic attraction going on of course.
Shoe options are one of the perks to riding platforms, but there are more walkable options for cycling shoes than there used to be, especially if we don’t get too hung up on it being specifically a “road” shoe.

FWIW, nobody has mentioned the obvious, but......those pedals look like they're kinda heavy.
Yeah, well, I look kinda heavy also. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts