Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering any real world review on Tarmac SL? Was thinking of getting the frameset but it's abit too new to show any reliability issues. Please let us know your thoughts if you had one. Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I rode one today really briefly at the shop i work at. It was built up with full DA, DA crank, mavic ES wheels deda mag stem and ec 90 bars. This thing is super light. Very stiff yet smooth ride. I only rode it for a few miles but i really like it. We also had a Scott rep come in and lent us his own CR1 SLto let us ride it. What's better is both bikes are in my size. It is very comparable ride to the tarmac SL.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, 2 things to keep in mind is that CR1 retails for $3000 as a frameset while the Tarmac SL is $3800. They both rode nearly identical and the Cr1 IMO looks better. But that is stricly up to you. I am probaly going to pull the trigger on the Scott. However if you are planning on getting the SL as a complete bike for $8200, you get their own crank which is lighter and stiffer than a DA crank(by the way the SL crank takes 20 hours to make each one) and a sweet set of roval carbon clinchers which retail for $2800, and the integrated bar and stem Barmac which retails for $400. If you are set on the SL buy the framset build it up with Durace, and get reynolds carbon clinchers. The only thing is you have to get the complete bike to get the specialized crank.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have been riding a Tarmac SL since the end of October. The bike is incredibly light (15.3lbs for 61cm w/ Record) and stiff yet it rides very nicely. I have also ridden a CR1 and like the ride of the SL better. MSRP is $800 more than the CR1, but IMO since it rides better, is supposedly stiffer and you'll be one of around 500 people in the country with one, go for the SL. I also like the look better, but that is just me as aesthetics are very personal.

I started with the frameset and built with Record, Stronglight Pulsion crank (lighter & stiffer than DA) and Easton Orion II wheels.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. I just sold my roubaix and probably going to get the SL instead. I didn't really like the fat down tube of CR1 but more concern of the ride instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts