Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't seem to find any reviews on it 'cause it just came out. Is it noticeably better than the old 105 brakes? Is it about the same as the new Ultegra brakes?

The stock Cannondale Delta dual-pivots seem to suck. I'm looking for a cheap set of brakes, but my last experience with dual-pivot Nashbar brakes left me less than impressed. Figure I'll go with what I know (Shimano 105 or higher).

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried both?

matanza said:
Go ultegra and you don't look back, and may as well put in some Kool Stop pads for good measure while you are at it! Twenty dollars difference but well worth it.
I have both the105 and ultegra brakes (from the 9-speed group) on my bikes. After upgrading the 105 with Kool Stop pads, the performance seems identical to the ultegras.

I don't mind paying the extra $ if there is a significant performance difference, as opposed to a cosmetic or marketing difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've used both the new Ultegras and the new 105s. I cannot tell a difference. The internals seem to be similar and the finish on the 105's seem a bit darker. I'm guessing it's only weight difference. This may be like the Ultegra Pedals and the R540 comparison; pretty much the same, just diff weight and some diff material.

The 105s, Ultegra's, DuraAce's all use the same Shimano brake pads. I find these pads to be crappy. Like the other posts, a cheap $20 upgrade for kool stops is a good investment.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that's the input I need.

Heck said:
I've used both the new Ultegras and the new 105s. I cannot tell a difference. The internals seem to be similar and the finish on the 105's seem a bit darker. I'm guessing it's only weight difference. This may be like the Ultegra Pedals and the R540 comparison; pretty much the same, just diff weight and some diff material.

The 105s, Ultegra's, DuraAce's all use the same Shimano brake pads. I find these pads to be crappy. Like the other posts, a cheap $20 upgrade for kool stops is a good investment.
Looks like I'm getting the new 105s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.