Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a bottle last nice to try and going to crack it open tonight. Not expensive at $40, but not cheap. Anyone try it? Keeper or return before opening?

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
Have not had it. Some American whiskey is hard to get up to Canada or is just not stocked. I have a few on my list I want to pick-up the next time I am down but that will not be in the near future with the money exchange rate the way it is.

Let us know what you think of it.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, its ok. Not impressed but not disappointed either. Definitely different taste and that I like. But its does seem watery. Had it straight up. Would I buy again? Not at $40 a bottle. But decent and a great conversation starter.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
My layman's opinion is that, at a given price point, there is an inverse relationship between how attention-grabbing a name is and the quality. Granted, there are exceptions -- Francis Ford Coppola's winery comes to mind -- but that's the rule I go by based on long, unfortunate experience.

BTW, if you want a good whiskey, try Knob Creek. Again, my opinion.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
the KC bourbon is ok...their rye is good, but my favorite is Rittenhouse.

for everyday whiskey, I usually buy 1792 Small Batch.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My layman's opinion is that, at a given price point, there is an inverse relationship between how attention-grabbing a name is and the quality. Granted, there are exceptions -- Francis Ford Coppola's winery comes to mind -- but that's the rule I go by based on long, unfortunate experience.

I like Knob Creek, Makers mark and Buffalo Trace as well. Just trying something different. I keep several different Whiskeys, Single Malt, Bourbon or Scotch on hand. Even the Irish stuff.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I haven't tried many whiskeys, but my cheap kind is Dewar's White Label.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,145 Posts
I like Knob Creek, Makers mark and Buffalo Trace as well. Just trying something different. I keep several different Whiskeys, Single Malt, Bourbon or Scotch on hand. Even the Irish stuff.
I always have a bottle of knob creek and a bottle of makers mark on hand. Those two seem to meet all my bourbon needs. I used to keep wild turkey and jim beam in the liquor cabinet. But not anymore. Makers mark for a light bourbon, knob creek for a strong burbon.

For a blended whiskey, I keep crown royal around. My brother in law keeps trying to get me to try rye whiskey. This thread has made me put rye on my liquor store shopping list.

I'm not a scotch guy. I like the flavor of scotch. But... Something, some congener that's particular to scotch production, in every scotch I've ever tried (from Johnnie Walker red and black, up to and including top-shelf single-malt scotches) gives me a really bad headache while I'm still drinking it and makes me sort of a mean drunk, which is completely out of character for me. I think I'm allergic to one or more of scotch congeners.

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
the KC bourbon is ok...their rye is good, but my favorite is Rittenhouse.

for everyday whiskey, I usually buy 1792 Small Batch.
I think Overholt and Rittenhouse are both the best low end ryes. I am not into whiskey. I do have a cool story about a famous chef offering big bucks for a fifth of Old Fitzgerald a friend found in their mother's house. Fitz was the prequel to Pappy Van Winkle

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
I think Overholt and Rittenhouse are both the best low end ryes. I am not into whiskey.
have gone thru a lot of ryes...Old Overholt is comparable to George Dickel (really inexpensive).

for my money, the Rittenhouse (100 proof) at ~ $25 is far better than either of those.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I haven't tried many whiskeys, but my cheap kind is Dewar's White Label.
Dewar's is whisky, not whiskey (Scottish spelling). It's a good blended Scotch, and by no means the cheapest. I've visited the distillery that makes the malt that is its main ingredient, Aberfeldy. Their single malt is quite good, to my taste. Not too easy to find.

I'm not much into American whiskeys. My wife and I mostly use them for mixed drinks. We've recently started using rye rather than bourbon for these, and I think they work better. And from our initial experimentation, the very inexpensive Old Overholt is what we like best. It's a bit harsh straight, but that seems to make it hold up better with the other components of the mixed drinks.

Scotch, whether blended or single-malt, I drink neat or on ice.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.