Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think they're tops. No issues. A little hard to install, but once they're on they are on. I love running them at 40lbs of pressure. Each race I double check to make sure they are on correctly, something you'll want to do, too. Just preventative maintance, pre-race checking.

I've also been wondering about a STANs NoTubes set up. Running low pressure is the only way to go. And with STANs you avoid the flatting. I wish somebody made a CX tire that was UST (tubeless).

·
Registered
7 Posts
They rolled off the rim when I ran them under 40psi last season. If your going to run low pressure, I would recommend going with tubulars. If you go with the tubular clinchers, I would make sure the tire bead is lined up with the rim before every ride.

·
tdiclub Member
417 Posts
pros and cons.
-they dont have much sidewall rubber compared to say maxxis larsen mimo or the grifo challenge.
-they are nice in the cold weather.
-if you are going to run them, the 28s have most tread.
-not so good on grassy off cambers
-I too have had a roll off w/ tub/clinch, I am guessing I was running less than 40 and had a slow leak, tire rolled, finished the race, no big deal it happens.
-cost the elites are expensive and the black T28 last longer and are heavyish.

The two tires I like are the maxxis larson mimo(clincher) and the Grifo challenge (tubular). I have an unmounted pair of clement neve that I'll try, they are narrow. I would like to try some dugasts...a good choice in tire reflects the course and conditions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I ran the Tufo Clincher Tubulars for 3 races in 2004 and will probably never use them again. I like riding my cross tires with low pressure around 35-40psi and I did roll the Tufo's off the rim. Like the previous posts, if you are looking into tubulars...just go all out and get real tubulars. If you don't want to go with a full pro tubular setup...here is my recommendation:

Michelin Mud 2 tires: I have used these in every cyclocross condition with amazing success. Great traction, fast rolling, shed mud well, and you don't need to run them just in the mud...they work on any surface! I know a lot of top racers that swear by them and many use them for their race setups if they are not running tubulars. I am a lightweight rider, but I have yet to pinch flat on these tires running them as low as 35psi.

-Ryan
cyclocrossELEMENTS.com
"More Cowbell, More 'Cross"

·
tdiclub Member
417 Posts
I just posted this over at the wheel and tire forum

Front Wheel
Description Weight Price Discount
Campagnolo Centaur Hub Front 32 Hole 186g $64.95 $58.46
Mavic Reflex Rim 32 Hole 375g $64.95 $58.46
Revolution spokes, 3 cross lacing 144g $31.68 $28.51
Brass nipples 30g $0.00 $0.00
Labor $20.00 $18.00
Total for the Front Wheel 735g $181.58 $163.42

Rear Wheel
Description Weight Price Discount
Campagnolo Centaur Hub Rear 32 Hole 332g $119.95 $107.96
Mavic Reflex Rim 32 Hole 375g $64.95 $58.46
Drive Side Revolution spokes, 72g $15.84 $14.26
Non-Drive Side Revolution spokes, 3 cross lacing 72g $15.84 $14.26
Brass nipples 30g $0.00 $0.00
Labor $20.00 $18.00
Total for the Rear Wheel 881g $236.58 $212.92

Total 1,616g $418.16 $376.34

Not bad from excel for a set of race tubulars, change up with different hubs if so desired.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.