Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the same WTB Silverado saddle on my road bike that I use on my MTB. It's pretty comfy for the most part but around 40 miles into a ride it occasionally bothers me a little. Is there any down side to using a MTB saddle on my road bike? Is there anything special about a road saddle design vs a MTB saddle design that should get me looking into switching?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I have used it before on my road bike. Then it was worn out to a point of replacement. Finding the saddle that works for you is more important than any label there may be.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I use a carbon railed road saddle(Romin Pro) on my mountain bike which is the same saddle I use on my road bike. Why would you use anything else other than what you know works for you?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
With some manufacturers, some models will differ in rear overhand, nose length... Some MTB saddles have tough plastic to protect the wings, nose, etc. I've heard several "I had a road saddle on my mtn bike and it broke" but not the reverse. It's logical, but haven't seen it substantiated - that an mtb saddle would have strong rails.

But (or butt) ^that^ really doesn't matter for you - since you're putting the dirt seat on the street. Assuming it's the right fit, you're golden.

Now, just don't ask if it's okay to use mtn bike shoes and pedals on the road... that'll turn into a 10-page discussion of weight, culture, style...

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I used the same WTB Silverado saddle on my road bike that I use on my MTB. It's pretty comfy for the most part but around 40 miles into a ride it occasionally bothers me a little. Is there any down side to using a MTB saddle on my road bike? Is there anything special about a road saddle design vs a MTB saddle design that should get me looking into switching?
I used my MTB saddle on a 50 mile ride as an experiment and it was very uncomfortable after about 30 miles. It works well for some people though, everyone is different on this.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
Whatever works, that's all that matters.
Saddles and butts are all unique, you have to do what works for you personally.
This.

We don't have different road butts and mountain butts, do we? Whatever works best for the rider.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Some road saddles are just not suitable for MTB's (Adamos, for example). I assume some MTB type saddles aren't suitable for road bikes either.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Some road saddles are just not suitable for MTB's (Adamos, for example). I assume some MTB type saddles aren't suitable for road bikes either.
Originally, MTB saddles were wider to give good support when struggling out of creek beds. But road bike saddles remained narrow to give better clearance for steady state tempo efforts on the road. It's hard to spin for very long on a wide MTB saddle. The saddle cuts into the back of the legs. MTB saddles seem to have gotten narrower over the years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes - I use a WTB Speed Gel on mine - same as on my fat bike. I also use MTB pedals and shoes. Maybe someday I'll get road bike pedals and shoes but this works for me now.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've done MTB saddles on road bikes and road saddles on MTB bikes. It really doesn't matter that much. Road saddles tend to be engineered towards being very light, which sometimes may mean they are less strong. I've broken a more road oriented saddle when using on a MTB bike (snapped one of the rails).

·
Registered
396 Posts
Too many details, can you be more to the point?
I thought it wasn't enough detail. I thought he meant "Want To Buy Rocket Pro" :p

But yes, whatever saddle works for you. I used a Fizik Arione on both my road and mtb. I switched to a Brooks Cambium on my road bike, but that's because the saddle was worn. Still have an Arione on the mtb.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts