Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My bikes are light enough, I'm not about to shave grams with slow-release levers. Fast wheel changes are the biggest priority for me, I wouldn't use those on a race bike.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Key point:
Also, unless you have a set of spare wheels in the pit, it doesnt really matter anyway----race them.
If you do have spare wheels in the pits, and you probably should before spending money on weight-weenieism, then bolt-ons make no sense.

I have two sets of those steel bolt-ons, for some reason. My CX bikes have QRs.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've ridden with bolt-on skewers. Not for weight savings though. My cross bike was also my dual purpose commuter ride and didn't want my Ksyriums getting jacked. I told myself I would put QR back on for the cross racing, but never bothered and the bolt-ons are just fine.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
Key point:

If you do have spare wheels in the pits, and you probably should before spending money on weight-weenieism, then bolt-ons make no sense.

I have two sets of those steel bolt-ons, for some reason. My CX bikes have QRs.
Are saying that you would change your wheelset DURING a race or try different wheels before the race? I can understand having a spare bike but changing wheels would take too long during a race. I haven't tried bolt ons but some people say wheel changes are FASTER than with QR's.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
limba said:
Are saying that you would change your wheelset DURING a race or try different wheels before the race? I can understand having a spare bike but changing wheels would take too long during a race.
Yes, during a race. Instead of DNF'ing because of something like a slow leak that might only cost you a few places, or none at all, if you can swap out a wheel? Heck yes.

limba said:
I haven't tried bolt ons but some people say wheel changes are FASTER than with QR's.
And that doesn't sound like baloney to you?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, that does sound odd but I have no experience with them. When you undo a QR you have to spin it a few times to get the wheel out and then spin it again when you put the wheel in before you clamp it down... maybe it works out the same?
What about if you're not racing, sound like a good upgrade then?

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
With a bolt-on you have to carry a tool and hope it doesn't fall out of your pocket or stab you when you fall on it. Or you have to stash one in the pit and hope you can find it later. Then you have to use it in a hurry, possibly with muddy or frozen hands, without rounding the hardware. QRs solve all of these problems for 5-10/100ths of a pound.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
limba When you undo a QR you have to spin it a few times to get the wheel out and then spin it again when you put the wheel in before you clamp it down... maybe it works out the same? [/QUOTE said:
That's why you file off the lawyer-lips.

·
Registered
390 Posts
wunlap togo said:
That's why you file off the lawyer-lips.
+ eleventy. It's nice to know that your qr skewer is already adjusted and ready to go during a high-speed/stressful wheel change.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Unoveloce said:
There should be a Wunlap-pedia!!
LOL, I definitely can't take credit for "lawyer lips"- that's an old one. Slow-release skewers, maybe.

There was a time back in my bike shop days where the guys I worked with and I were trying to come up with nonsense names for most common bike parts- quick releases=turnbuckles, bottom bracket= crank case, headset= turncock, etc. It was pretty hilarious to see how many of these made up names we could use during customer interactions, cxwrench can probably remember a few more of these. Good fun!

·
Registered
377 Posts
wunlap togo said:
LOL, I definitely can't take credit for "lawyer lips"- that's an old one. Slow-release skewers, maybe.

There was a time back in my bike shop days where the guys I worked with and I were trying to come up with nonsense names for most common bike parts- quick releases=turnbuckles, bottom bracket= crank case, headset= turncock, etc. It was pretty hilarious to see how many of these made up names we could use during customer interactions, cxwrench can probably remember a few more of these. Good fun!

Turncock... ROFLMAO

Tell the ladies that is what you have been working on all day, I am sure you will get some great looks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I believe the bolt on skewer is more for the MTB crowd- I think it's purpose is to attempt a more secure wheel attachment for disc-brake setups.

I'd use them to reduce the likelihood of theft, but that's about it.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
bluemarinoni said:
I believe the bolt on skewer is more for the MTB crowd- I think it's purpose is to attempt a more secure wheel attachment for disc-brake setups.
I think you are confusing bolt on skewers with larger axles (eg. 20mm). Of which, neither have to do with disk brake set-ups. Bolt-ons are simply for uber weight weenies of all cycling styles.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I know the things of which you speak- and no, I'm not confused- at least not about this.

Control Tech makes super stupid light bolt-ons with sizes for MTB or roadie crowd, but Halo makes a set as well, and they're advertised as being safer for disc setups.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I've used the Control Tech Road Skewers on my SS, and they work great.
I already carry a 5/6mm allen wrench in my tool bag, so I'm covered should I get a flat.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
bluemarinoni said:
and they're advertised as being safer for disc setups.

Well then that is just silliness on their part, and pure marketing. QR skewers are more than safe enough for disc set-ups. I don't really see the connection with skewers and brake set-ups. I think control tech is making stuff up:)

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
88 rex said:
Well then that is just silliness on their part, and pure marketing. QR skewers are more than safe enough for disc set-ups. I don't really see the connection with skewers and brake set-ups. I think control tech is making stuff up:)
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/disk_and_quick_release/

See also "forward facing drop out", which started to appear on disc forks in the last few years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts