Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hectic work schedule and I get outside when I can but some days, well... it just doesn't come together. I have been using the trainer to keep my riding at a even level but I am looking for something to add some discipline to the training sessions. I have heard about Spinervals but I don't know anyone that uses them.
If any of you have used them please give me a rveiew. I know that there are a ton of individual ones but I am just curious if I should avoid them or not?

·
Registered
21 Posts
i like them

i find it to be a good, hard workout. i particularly like 'muscle breakdown', 'uphill grind', 'totally time trial', and 'recovery and technique'. there are a bunch of others, some of which i've used and they all the ones i've used leave me gasping. production values are decent though some folks don't like the music.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought one, was rather dubious - until I found myself using it all the time. I now have about six. They're great for getting in a hard, focused session with limited time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I am going to order a couple and see how they work out.

·
Ti me up
1,243 Posts
c0braje7 said:
I have a hectic work schedule and I get outside when I can but some days, well... it just doesn't come together. I have been using the trainer to keep my riding at a even level but I am looking for something to add some discipline to the training sessions. I have heard about Spinervals but I don't know anyone that uses them.
If any of you have used them please give me a rveiew. I know that there are a ton of individual ones but I am just curious if I should avoid them or not?
They're good stuff. "No Slackers Allowed" is a pretty good one for a ~40-minute, pretty tough workout. I have half-a-dozen others, but really like that one for a short, highly focused workout. Since we also have a treadmill at home for my marathoner wife, I find myself using Ride and Stride a lot. Has made tri/du transitions easier. Don't bother with it if you don't have a treadmill, though.

Also, search the archives. There's been a fair amount of discussion of Spinervals, with some others' recommendations.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I'll third (or fourth) the good vibes. I've got the "Base Builder" one and the Timesaver one. both provide a good workout when you cannot motivate for yourself.

One deficiency that I see with them (as well as with the CTS vids) is that the coaches "calls" are based on HR, rather than power. It would be nice to be given a power protocol. On short (say sub 5:00) intervals I find HR to be a pretty unsatisfactory indicator, not to mention that my HR does not react indoors in the same way that it reacts outdoors.

The CTS timetrial video is pretty good too (I've heard good stuff about the other CTS vids but haven't tried them). The downside of that one is that they have you figure all of the workloads based on HR from a three mile TT... so you've gotta know what that number is or go figure it out in a field test.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I bought Spinervals 13.0 'Tough Love' yeah it is tough love! 3 Hours, its probally the best workout I have, after training so much you get lazy thinking of intervals to do, these here you can watch the screen and just do what coach Troy says.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've tried the TT Special, Totally TT, Suffer-O-Rama, Uphill Grind, Recovery & Technique videos, but my favorite so far has to be the Megawatts audio CD.

I'm still working up the courage to attempt the 3-hour Tough Love DVD.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good DVDs

I particularly like Mental Toughness... you gotta love isometric squats in the middle of your interval set.

Another pretty good training DVD is Race Day with Robbie Ventura. The race footage is pretty cool and it allows you to train either by RPE, heartrate, or watts. Amazing to watch how quickly Robbie can pop his HR up to max.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.