Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at pedals for 2 of my bikes. My platform of choice is Look Delta system. I have really not been too satisfied with 2 of the last 3 Look pedals I bought. One, all the paint pealed of the pedal, not effecting the performance but it looks bad. Another basically disintegrated from the inside, it's junk and the third for some reason the release on it is super tight, almost dislocate my knee trying to get out of it. That may be a cleat interface problem I need to look into that further (multiple shoes, different cleat mfger, wear)

Looking at the Nashbar model top of the line pedal that takes a Look Delta cleat, and the one step below it for a touring bike I'm putting together.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,553 Posts
I've been using the Performance version of the Nashbar Z11 pedal on my race bike for over 2 years now, without a problem. They were getting a little chewed up from pedaling through crit turns, so I painted them this winter.
I would not get the Nashbar Ti version unless you are under 150 pounds.

I have no Idea who makes them.

PS. They have the same max pedal tension as the Keo Classic, but a little less than the Keo Sprint.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
DON'T BUY NASHBAR.

People die on them all the time! That why I buy nashbar, I'm a suicide freak!

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
jmoryl said:
I would guess they are made by Wellgo. Don't have a great reputation, but I have a pair of their SPD pedals which have been fine. Cheap enough to try...

don't know about their road stuff but wellgo does (did?) their spd mtn stuff. performance's too, and IIRC ritchey. they are ok for inexpensive pedals

addm- actually I have the ventouxs (forte, same thing) on the spin bike. seem ok. still guessing wellgo... the fortes are exactly the same

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Do Not Buy These!!!!!

jmoryl said:
I would guess they are made by Wellgo. Don't have a great reputation, but I have a pair of their SPD pedals which have been fine. Cheap enough to try...
Perhaps my review of these dangerous beartraps are still in the reviews section, but last I saw, it had been demoted to the archives. My experience with the Wellgo/Nashbar/Forte "Look Delta type" pedals (all are essentially the same, BTW), are that they are poorly designed, poorly made, and are nearly impossible to release from, until the day that the spring arm breaks (about 2 months after you buy them), at which point, you can't get them to attach, no matter what. I ended up riding home with a bungee cord holding me in.

After having one break, I took them apart, photographed the parts, and used it in my "Design for Manufacture" class at my engineering school as an example of a poor design. The stressed parts are poor quality castings, the adjuster screw doesn't give you enough range (goes from super-super-stiff to just super-stiff), and the inboard "bearings" are merely nylon bushings with grease. For only about $30 more, buy some REAL pedals that will last you. Don't risk your ankles and your life to these dangerous pedals.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't think they are all painted with the same brush

Dave_Stohler said:
Perhaps my review of these dangerous beartraps are still in the reviews section, but last I saw, it had been demoted to the archives. My experience with the Wellgo/Nashbar/Forte "Look Delta type" pedals (all are essentially the same, BTW), are that they are poorly designed, poorly made, and are nearly impossible to release from, until the day that the spring arm breaks (about 2 months after you buy them), at which point, you can't get them to attach, no matter what. I ended up riding home with a bungee cord holding me in.

After having one break, I took them apart, photographed the parts, and used it in my "Design for Manufacture" class at my engineering school as an example of a poor design. The stressed parts are poor quality castings, the adjuster screw doesn't give you enough range (goes from super-super-stiff to just super-stiff), and the inboard "bearings" are merely nylon bushings with grease. For only about $30 more, buy some REAL pedals that will last you. Don't risk your ankles and your life to these dangerous pedals.
The pictured pedal by FTF (thank you) is not the pedal I am considering although initially it was until I did some more net shopping for Look Delta platform pedals. I had picked those while developing a needed parts list as they were offered at a good price at a supply house that I needed more parts from. Then I started doing more shopping. Your description and Nashbars description of the pedals are different in bearing placement, type of bearing, etc. I can't justify the cost right now of going to the Look Keo system (5 bikes all with Look, 3 pr shoes) If I would go to anything different it would probably be Shimano pedals. I have been happy for the most part with Look, they are the only system I have tried, I like the size of the platform. If I try the Nashbar Z17 pedals and I find them to be too stiff to release for my liking then I send them back. As far as durability, I still use the original Look pedals I bought, white and red, back in about 1990 or so on one of my bikes.

·
24,553 Posts
I would never buy a pedal with a Ti axel from a "house brand" nashbar or performance. When I worked part time at a performance retail store, I saw many returned that had broken at the crank. For myself, I would be afraid to sprint on them. I never saw any broken steel axel. I can afford to carry an extra 60 grams, thank you.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
You mentioned that you were looking for a set of pedals for a touring bike. Take a look at shimno A-520's. These are essentially a road version of their MTB pedals, and will allow you to use walkable MTB shoes, as they have the standard 2 hole cleat pattern. I know that no self respecting roading would be caught dead riding in MTB shoes, but what a revelation it is to be able to walk into a convienence store and buy a bottle of gatorade! I switched to a set of these a few months ago after walking like a duck with a chafed crotch for the last 20 years and I'm sooo glad I did. I'll give up a little performance and carry the extra weight of an MTB shoe for the convienence that these provide anyday. Course I'm not planning on standing on top of the podium in Paris this July either.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll give you a pass that you did not read the whole thread

cyclust said:
You mentioned that you were looking for a set of pedals for a touring bike. Take a look at shimno A-520's. These are essentially a road version of their MTB pedals, and will allow you to use walkable MTB shoes, as they have the standard 2 hole cleat pattern. I know that no self respecting roading would be caught dead riding in MTB shoes, but what a revelation it is to be able to walk into a convienence store and buy a bottle of gatorade! I switched to a set of these a few months ago after walking like a duck with a chafed crotch for the last 20 years and I'm sooo glad I did. I'll give up a little performance and carry the extra weight of an MTB shoe for the convienence that these provide anyday. Course I'm not planning on standing on top of the podium in Paris this July either.
I'm not interested in changing out of the Look Delta cleat scheme, I'm invested, which means I'm not changing the interface which is what I would need to do if I followed your suggestion. If I stop and need to walk around anywhere I put the Kool covers on the cleats and walk. Anyone that is walking around like a duck deserves to fall on their ass because they did not put the cleat covers on, they sell them for a reason because they work.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good point

MR_GRUMPY said:
I would never buy a pedal with a Ti axel from a "house brand" nashbar or performance. When I worked part time at a performance retail store, I saw many returned that had broken at the crank. For myself, I would be afraid to sprint on them. I never saw any broken steel axel. I can afford to carry an extra 60 grams, thank you.
I'll keep that in mind during my quest for new pedals.

·
Registered
919 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
From what I have seen over the years, I would avoid Ti pedal axles from the major brands as well. Just not worth it.

I understand Dave Stohler's concerns, but it looks like the design and construction of the current Wellgo/store brand Look type pedals has changed over the years. Note I hesitate to say improved, although word of mouth isn't too bad on the latest stuff.

·
24,553 Posts
Yes, not quite as good as the original Look pedals, but a close second.
(some of the wellgo pedals are still rather crappy)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Check out probikekit.com for some great prices on shimano SPD/SL wihich I think are the best road pedels made. The have the new Ultagra SL for 74.00 with free shipping and dont wory about them being UK based everything I have ordered from them comes with in a week.

·
The Gimlet Eye
918 Posts
cyclust said:
Dang, who pissed in your cherrios? I saw your thread asking for suggestions so I thought I'd let you know what I found useful. Excuuuuuuuuse me!
reading is fundamental....

Lone Gunman said:
I am looking at pedals for 2 of my bikes. My platform of choice is Look Delta system. .
Lone Gunman said:
If I would go to anything different it would probably be Shimano pedals. I have been happy for the most part with Look, they are the only system I have tried, I like the size of the platform. If I try the Nashbar Z17 pedals and I find them to be too stiff to release for my liking then I send them back. As far as durability, I still use the original Look pedals I bought, white and red, back in about 1990 or so on one of my bikes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Lone Gunman said:
covenant said:
reading is fundamental....[/QUOTE

Yes reading is fundamental, which is why I gave him the pass and then the next guy jumps off the bridge with him concerning Probikekit Shimano pedals?

Not sure what you are jumping all over me for. The Shimano SPDL is the same interface as the LOOK although you cant use the LOOK cleats as they have there own but a pair comes with the pedal.

Having ridden both LOOK and Shimano SPDL I have to say the Shimano are the most comfortable, adjustable, and after 3 years and 12,000 miles they still look good.

So take a look before you jump off the bridge.

Buy the way probikekit.com also has the best prices I’ve seen for Look pedals.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I still don't get it

Lets try and put this into it's most basic form: Johnboy owns 5 bicycles. 4 of the 5 bikes have Look Delta cleat type pedals. Johnboy also owns 3 pairs of bike shoes. ALL (notice the caps) 3 pairs have Look Delta cleats because Johnboy likes to sometimes wear different shoes and ride different bikes so the transition between ALL equipment owned is seamless. ( he'll never drive to a ride and discover that he brought the wrong shoes for the right bike, it happens) If Johnboy buys a pair of Shimano pedals, how many pairs of shoes that ALL have Look delta cleats will work with the new Shimano pedals? ZERO.

You see in 1990 when I bought my first set of Look Delta pedals, I had no idea that in 2008 I would own 5 bikes. As I bought bikes and pedals I saw the need to remain seamless. That is why if you own multiple bikes it helps to stay with a given pedal system.

Perhaps when I said Look delta interface I should have used the term link, but I think that would have muddied the discussion further to the point where someone would have said to get a wipperman. But for the sake of discussion interface connects the shoe to the pedal via the cleat. Usually a shoe fine print will say "drilled for" insert your "system". Look Delta cleat IS my current system, after market, used, NOS is my only option.

As I stated, I'm invested in Look Delta system. On the chance that you are not aware, Look does not manufacture the Delta system pedals any longer. Other manufacturers do, therefore if I want Look Delta cleat pedals I have to read the fine print on any pedal I am considering. Otherwise my seamless use of the Look Delta cleat system where shoe A got totally soaked the day before and shoe B is waiting in the wings to take over my needs in a dry shoe with which bike I might want that day gets limited by a cleat system.

I apologize for posting what appeared to be negative or insulting comments. I just get annoyed when I pose a question about a specifc piece of equipment/system and I get responses to buy something else that is incompatable with what I have for whatever reason. I guess I need to "lighten up" and sift the advise given and not respond to the incompatable stuff, like get a mac or a wii or something like that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.