Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Can't help with a review but wow that is light (even if Ti bolts?) and the fact that it does not go to 110 & 120mm is cause for checking around. Suspect it is limited in length due to load testing or just caution. IME MTBs are harder on stems than road bikes so I would try it.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
There are stems that light on the market, but not at that price point. That's really light and cheap. I would love to see it on an actual scale.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Curious too. Cheap for super light. Torx screws is the only thing I don't like, as I'd need another multi-tool, or to switch them out. Still a great price even if you order hex bolts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I guess I won't be the one to put it to the test. It came down to a short list between the Wren and Ritchey C220 (my seatpost is Ritchey and that stem already has excellent reviews). Excel Sports just put the Ritchey on sale for $48, which makes it a lower price for a known product - even if it is a tad bit heavier. Maybe my next bike.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I smell cheap Chinese made trash. If u want a proven (CEN Standards) ultra light stem buy an Extralite. Forged, military grade aluminum. But priced as a safe and light stem should be expected to.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
I smell cheap Chinese made trash. If u want a proven (CEN Standards) ultra light stem buy an Extralite. Forged, military grade aluminum. But priced as a safe and light stem should be expected to.
Yea....these are claimed to be 30-40% lighter than even the most expensive name-brand alloy and carbon parts. (100m typically 120-140g?).

Definitely a good time to check you dental insurance before buying.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But priced as a safe and light stem should be expected to.
Maybe that's why bike parts continue to be priced as high as airplane parts. And maybe read the Wren story before branding as trash. Just because something is made in China, doesn't mean quality control is any better or worse than something made anywhere else in the world.

Anyway, I'm the hypocrite because I went with Ritchey, but in fairness it was a lower price than the Wren. And I even have good dental under Obamacare.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Maybe that's why bike parts continue to be priced as high as airplane parts. And maybe read the Wren story before branding as trash. Just because something is made in China, doesn't mean quality control is any better or worse than something made anywhere else in the world.

Anyway, I'm the hypocrite because I went with Ritchey, but in fairness it was a lower price than the Wren. And I even have good dental under Obamacare.
You Sir are spot on. I did vendor qualifications in mainland China and they can deliver whatever the client wants and will pay for. The public see a lot of rubbish but we in industry know how to get (and pay the price of) as good quality assurance as you can find anywhere other than super high tech stuff which we and others protect. We have transferred massive amounts of technology to them to utilize there manufacturing potential.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
Well, to be fair, the mainland can't deliver everything. China has yet to make a decent ball point pen. Precision manufacturing/engineering, while improving, is still lagging behind Taiwan.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
You mean to tell me that it doesn't come in a 140?????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts