Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sending back my VDO computer because it intermittently stops displaying speed/altitude and I was thinking about the wahoo rflkt+ because my phone is always in my back pocket and I run mapmyrides. I am leary though because I have read so many customer reviews that convey connection problems, accuracy problems, battery life, slow to show changes in speed/altitude. Love to hear from anyone who is using/used one and if anyone has a decent alternative other then spending $300 on a garmin 520.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had major issues with mine. I have a RFLKT and a RFLKT+. They did a software "update" last year, and after that I have not been able to get them to work. I had called customer support last year, and they sent me 2 more units for free. However, those had the same issue. Basically, my iPhone 4S does not read the bluetooth signal on the units. Not sure if the issue is with my phone or with Wahoo, but it's majorly annoying.

I have been too lazy to call customer support again (I will be soon), but I have currently been running my RFLKT through the Strava app (GPS), which seems to work fine. That being said, the interface on strava is not good (i.e. very minimal options, doesn't show cadence, etc). It's too bad, because I really like the units themselves, when they actually work.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have been using the RFLKT+ for the last 2 years and it has been ok, not great, not bad, just ok. I too didn't want to spend the money for a Garmin and was looking for an alternative when I got the RFLKT. Initially I had very minimal issues with it. I was also using the Wahoo BC Speed Cadence sensor and everything paired up nicely. I did try a couple of different Apps, MapMyRide, Ride with GPS and the Wahoo App. I ended up using the Wahoo App as it seemed to work the best as well as having the most customization. But as they have introduced new firmware I have been having more issues.

The only problem I had in the beginning was the RFLKT would freeze on start up. I did find that you had to turn things on in a particular order otherwise the RFLKT would freeze. What I found worked for me was to "wake up" the sensors on the bike, second start the App on my phone, then turn on the RFLKT.

Last summer during a ride the unit quit on me and told me I needed to do a firmware update to continue. I did contact customer service and they were quick to respond with a statement "that isn't supposed to happen, must have been a fluke", granted it hasn't happened since. Now it tells me before or after a ride that it needs an update. Something else that started last year is that rides over an hour sometimes caused the unit and App to "timeout" and shut off. I again contacted Wahoo, who again was very quick to respond that they new about the issue but didn't have a fix. They did however have a work around, which was to setup Auto Laps for every 30-45 minutes, not a big deal.

This year after the latest firmware I have been having connectivity issues with my phone, where the RFLKT will shut off sporadically. The App on the phone is still recording data so you aren't loosing anything you just have to wake up the RFLKT if you want to see it. It sounded like the previous poster had similar issues but I think his is more a phone issue. I believe the iPhone 4's had the old Bluetooth standard which can cause issues. I have an iPhone 6 which used to have no connectivity issues with the RFLKT. But now after the latest firmware update there seems to be.

I do like the idea behind the RFLKT and for the most part I really like the unit it self. For the casual user would have no problem recommending it, I would however let them know of the issues I have had. I however have decided to try something different, I recently ordered the Lezyne Super GPS Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - GPS - Super GPS which is a stand alone unit, closer to a Garmin than the RFLKT. My main reason for making the switch wasn't because of the RFLKT its self, it's because I started doing Triathlon's last year and you are not allowed to have a phone's on the course while racing so I couldn't use my RFLKT.

If there are any other details you would like to know don't hesitate to ask, I will do my best to answer your qquestions.

SS-

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, the product idea is a good one but it seems that it is stuck somewhere between a commercial unit and a prototype. I never ride w/o my phone, and running mapmyride doesn't suck the battery for the phone I have so having a head unit that displays all that info seems like a no brainer. My sister is looking at a job at Under armour, I told her I have a good idea for a new product:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I still think it is a good unit especially for the price and I too always ride with my phone except in races. I may continue to use mine on my non-race bike, I still like how it works. Like I said my main reason for buying a new computer was for racing.

SS-

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've got a RFLKT (not the +) and here's what I've noticed with connectivity issues.

I've got one jersey with a single, big zippered pocket and one with multiple. With the single my phone settles in the middle and I'll frequently lose connection. With the multiple my phone is in my right pocket (my RFLKT is mounted to the right of the stem) and I have no connection issues.

Bluetooth uses 2.4GHz which is absorbed by water. Your body happens to be a giant bag of water. If you have the bulk of your mass between your phone and your device you'll likely lose connection.

As for slow to update the display, I've noticed that too. Just watching the seconds tick by for the cumulative ride time I never see it go by as single seconds. It's usually 2, sometimes 3 at a time. This is not an issue for me personally but I certainly wouldn't fault others for complaining. I use my RFLKT to get basic, general information. The values I use the most are trip time, time of day, and distance. But my riding is either JRAs with friends on the weekend or commuting during the week. With a JRA I'm not concerned about cadence and max speed, etc. For my commutes they've become very predictable but also dominated by traffic lights. So worrying about instantaneous metrics is an exercise in futility.

I like my RFLKT but I acknowledge that it's got some quite obvious faults. I'm just fortunate those faults don't often interact with my kind of riding.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have both the original and the +. The idea is good but the product can be glitchy at times. When it works they are great, I have all the information on a nice little unit. When there is issue with the unit, it can get frustrating. Just last weekend, the + wouldn't pair with my phone so I did my ride with a dead weight. Resetting didn't work neither. Finally I took the battery out for a few minutes after I got home, put it back in and it worked again, what gives?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody I think I just do mapmyride or strava on my phone then be surprised (or disappointed) when I look at it after the ride

·
Registered
518 Posts
I bought a RFLKT+ right when they first came out. Early on there were a few glitchy firmware updates, 1 in particular that killed the battery in about 3 rides. Wahoo Fitness has been great supporting them, including sending me a few spare batteries to carry me through the fore-mentioned battery glitch. I've never needed to send it in. Since the last firmware upgrade around the middle of last summer I've had ZERO issues with it, it just works. I use it on 4 different bikes with a variety of Bluetooth and ANT+ sensors and have had no issues switching it between them. I'm really happy with it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's good news, what type of phone are you using? currently I'm running android 6.0 on a sony Z5. where is your phone when you ride? And what app are you using with it?

Thanks

·
Registered
518 Posts
I use the RFLKT+ with an iPhone 5 and the Wahoo Fitness app. Sometimes I will use the Wahoo ANT+ key on the phone, most of the time I don't. The phone is usually in a ziploc bag along with an ID, money, and a credit card in my right jersey pocket.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The only trouble I've had with my RFLKT is after I bought a second one when they were on sale. Was intending to leave one on the mountain bike, and use the other for road and gravel. For whatever reason, If I pair both RFLKTs to my 5s, either my phone or the RFLKT won't talk to each other. As long as only one of them is paired, everything is peachy. I really like the TCKR and RPM cadency sensor. Planning on getting a RPM speed sensor soon. Use it for road, gravel, CX, mtb.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have two RFLKT units and for the most part have been happy. To address some comments above:

Re: pairing -- the recent update that shows notifications changed the way the unit communicates to your phone. Basically the RFLKT pairs as a Bluetooth unit (to the phone) instead of a true Bluetooth LE (to the app). I opened an issue with RFLKT and they told ,w that that update now makes it impossible for multiple RFLKT units to pair to the same phone. I ultimately decided to downgrade the firmware of both units and they work great again.

Re: app --- I find the best way to use the device is to use the Wahoo app during the ride. It offers the most customization of the screens and seems to provide the best experience. When the ride is over, you can choose to export to several other sites (MMR and Strava being two of them).

Re: signal --- Bluetooth LE sometimes has issues transmitting through water (i.e.: your body). I find if my phone is in either back side pocket there are no issues but sometimes see the HR drop if in the middle pocket. Now I keep my phone in side pocket out of habit and don't think much of it. This is not unique to RFLKT and would happen anytime a BT LE device is paired to your phone.

To add, I like the device overall. I usually ride two hours or less so my phone battery works fine. To me it wasn't worth paying Garmin prices (in addition to ANT+ Sensors) when the RFLKT and cheaper BTLE sensors work almost as good. Each user is different but for me the RFLKT have been great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts