Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

This saddle is approx. 20 yrs. old but very comfy for me, anyone know which newer saddle replaced it, I am not finding any info on the web. Any help is much appreciated... I know Selle Italia stopped producing these 13 yrs ago.

Would a Selle San Marco work?

·
your god hates me
1,551 Posts
I can't help re: suggesting an equivalent modern saddle, but I will point out that the thing to me that really defines the shape of the Mundialita was its height...it's a very tall saddle, so the suede-like material goes pretty far down your leg. And that -- coupled with the fact that the suede-like material gets REALLY HOT! -- was what prompted me to remove the Mundialita from my bike two weeks after I got it. For about 5 or 10 minutes it was indeed a very comfortable saddle, but after that I found it intolerable.

I've never seen a modern saddle anywhere near as tall as the Mundialita.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I have one of those on a Bertoni from the mid 80's. It is a softer saddle, with cromo rails...heavy by today's types. I think the Selle Italia Turbo feels comparable. Whatever your backside finds comfortable.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I know this is and old thread but i have this seat on my KG86 in leather

I understand the complaints about the height but in the selle italia range which seat is closest to this shape i love this saddle and if I knew the latest version with a similar shape i would be on it in a min lol

Any help appreciated

Twiggy

·
Registered
380 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
I ride a turbomatic and have for several years...hard to come by, but great saddle. The "153mm" measurement I've seen quoted before, but i think that's quite a bit off. The saddle has kind of a rounded profile (left to right), so the flat part where you sit bones are actually perched is actually less--it's very similar to the standard Turbo. I think the rubber bumpers the saddle has built into the rails adds some width to the overall, but again, it's not anything you're actually sitting on. It's definitely wider than today's crop of saddles (Flight, SLR, etc.), but not any wider than the traditional saddles of the 80's/early 90's

Also, I found this link that has a "life size" profile of the actual saddle...pretty cool Cut it out, lay it on-top of the old saddle, and compare.

http://www.wekeepyoucycling.com/en/...lle-italia-turbomatic-team-edition-saddle.pdf

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I used one of those saddles, did not know what it was until I googled it. Gotta be more than 20 years old, maybe 30. EBay has them, NOS. Some outfit called worthpoint.com.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had one of these for years, NOS ones come up on ebay all the time, heavy but very comfy. But to answer your question. I have no idea if there was a specific "replacement"

·
Banned
605 Posts
I ride one of these too and love it. After trying a few different San Marco's and a Prologo I bought a non-cutout turbomatic and I am very happy with it. Superduper comfy! And I don't think the width would give a problem if your already on a 140mm.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Cpk said:
I ride one of these too and love it. After trying a few different San Marco's and a Prologo I bought a non-cutout turbomatic and I am very happy with it. Superduper comfy! And I don't think the width would give a problem if your already on a 140mm.
I have been looking at the prologo scratch or the scratch nack as the guys from selle italia advised that going up or down in width wouldn't cause to many problems especially as i dont actually sit on the widest part of the saddle

it seems the Prologo Scratch is the closest to the shape i have found to the Mundialita but i will have a look at the turbo

thanks

Twiggy 73

·
Registered
45 Posts
1985 Panasonic Team 12

That saddle came stock on my 1985 Panasonic. It was never comfortable for me. Replaced it with a Turbo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts