Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard anything new on the iBike? Shipping? Results of the testing they were doing? Nothing new on the web site.

TF

BTW, can anybody else find the post where the iBike rep replied?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,274 Posts
I just purchased a PM (an Ergomo) after lots of time looking around at all the options. I didn't want a PT as is is too limited. I didn't want the SRM because I feelt it is one over priced, and two pretty limited in options. I looked at the iBike but realized pretty quickly that it is simply not a power meter. It takes into consideration variables that can change dramatically on a ride. I often do cruise intervals on long rides (100-150K) and can lose quite a bit of weight, this would mess the system up pretty bad. The heat, humidity, all things just effect it too much. Cool tool, for the price I am sure it offers some form of data, however I believe a HRM would be more accurate!

K
 

· NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IUbike said:
I just purchased a PM (an Ergomo) after lots of time looking around at all the options. I didn't want a PT as is is too limited. I didn't want the SRM because I feelt it is one over priced, and two pretty limited in options. I looked at the iBike but realized pretty quickly that it is simply not a power meter. It takes into consideration variables that can change dramatically on a ride. I often do cruise intervals on long rides (100-150K) and can lose quite a bit of weight, this would mess the system up pretty bad. The heat, humidity, all things just effect it too much. Cool tool, for the price I am sure it offers some form of data, however I believe a HRM would be more accurate!

K
I picked up a used a PT Pro (latest version of receiver and CPU) built into a nice OP wheel for $650 and am very happy with it. (I consider the pricing of the ergomo amd SRM to be way out of my range.) Problem is that my every-day bike has disc brakes and won't take a PT. I don't use it for 'training' but still want wattage data. Understanding its limitations, the iBike may be still good enough for this purpose. - TF
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,083 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Problem is that my every-day bike has disc brakes and won't take a PT. I don't use it for 'training' but still want wattage data. Understanding its limitations, the iBike may be still good enough for this purpose. - TF
Welcome to the dark side. I've gotta say, the wattage feedback is really addictive, and makes my old HR based training plans seem like voodoo. Didja get cyclingpeaks?
 

· NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shawndoggy said:
Welcome to the dark side. I've gotta say, the wattage feedback is really addictive, and makes my old HR based training plans seem like voodoo. Didja get cyclingpeaks?
Yes to CyclingPeaks. So far it's (PT and CyclingPeaks) more toy than training aid. We'll see.

One reason I want the wattage on non-training rides is for the TSS. You use it?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,083 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Yes to CyclingPeaks. So far it's (PT and CyclingPeaks) more toy than training aid. We'll see.

One reason I want the wattage on non-training rides is for the TSS. You use it?
YES YES YES YES YES! I'm on a very limited time budget training-wise (an exceptional week is 10 hours, and frequently I'm limited to fewer than seven). So I need to get the most bang for the buck out of the time I have. Being able to see and track the TSS of given rides really helped me figure out that the fast saturday group ride is a bit of a waste of time training wise (though there are social / fun benefits that TSS can't quantify) vs. doing an interval set. Also having collected data for a year now, it's interesting to go back and look at the TSS trends. I've learned that on a weekly basis, TSS-wise, I'm averaging about 500, with 600 being a very hard week, and anything over 600 being likely to end me up in trouble (sick or burned out).

I've actually set up a graph that tracks weekly hours, weekly TSS, mean max 5minute power and mean max 20M power (the mean maxes being for the week in question). Very easy way to see trends and to see progress.

Like I said, after figuring out how to use a PM with CyclingPeaks, my HR based training really seems like voodoo.
 

· RoadBikeReview Addict
Joined
·
673 Posts
I've downloaded the trial version of Cycling Peaks but not the full version yet. Excuse, my ignorance, but what does TSS stand for? I'm using the new PowerTap software called PowerTuned. One thing that I DON'T like about my PT SL - when I'm using it during a race, w/race wheels, there's noway to get both cycling speed funtions AND HR data! Are these your experiences?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,083 Posts
jtferraro said:
I've downloaded the trial version of Cycling Peaks but not the full version yet. Excuse, my ignorance, but what does TSS stand for? I'm using the new PowerTap software called PowerTuned. One thing that I DON'T like about my PT SL - when I'm using it during a race, w/race wheels, there's noway to get both cycling speed funtions AND HR data! Are these your experiences?
TSS = training stress score. Yes, you should be able to get Speed on the middle line and HR on the bottom. Oh, do you mean racing without the PT hub? Dunno... I don't do that (what better place to collect data than a race?). Why do you want to know what your HR is in a race anyway?

the power training forum on cyclingforums.com is a must read.
 

· RoadBikeReview Addict
Joined
·
673 Posts
OK, TSS = Training Stress Score. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the PowerTap PowerTuned software provides that info - must be Cycling Peaks you're referring to?

Yes, I mean racing w/o the PT hub. I agree about the importance of collecting data from a race and have done so via spring training crits. It's not so much that I want to know what my HR is DURING the race, but I'd like to look at my HR stats AFTER the race.

Thanks for the heads up re: the PT forum on cylingforums.com. I'll check it out.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,274 Posts
Honestly just save your money on the iBike for a real power meter. The idea is great but they have no way to really make an accurate measure of the power one is producing. The idea is good, but I don't think in everyday situations it will work. What happens in a draft, rain, side wind, etc? Just too many variables, people question the current way we test power by worrying about .5-2% variations, I can not even imagine what the variations on this thing is.

K
 

· NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IUbike said:
Honestly just save your money on the iBike for a real power meter. The idea is great but they have no way to really make an accurate measure of the power one is producing. The idea is good, but I don't think in everyday situations it will work. What happens in a draft, rain, side wind, etc? Just too many variables, people question the current way we test power by worrying about .5-2% variations, I can not even imagine what the variations on this thing is.

K
First, for my use I'm not probably concerned about +/- 10%. This should still give me a good Training Stress Score or equivalent.

Drafting, side winds should have no affect. The frontal air pressure vector is all that (basically) matters. Rain is one of the questions I'm asking.

The biggest difference should be in riding position and this is the data I'm looking for.

TF
 

· Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
IUbike said:
Honestly just save your money on the iBike for a real power meter. The idea is great but they have no way to really make an accurate measure of the power one is producing. The idea is good, but I don't think in everyday situations it will work. What happens in a draft, rain, side wind, etc? Just too many variables, people question the current way we test power by worrying about .5-2% variations, I can not even imagine what the variations on this thing is.

K
I will eventually switch to power training in the near future. I believe the cost will continue to come down in the next few years and you will probably be able to get a PT or equivalent product for about 12 to 1/3 of the cost. For now, I will just have to live in the dark ages since I have spent plenty lately on expensive bikes, wheels, kit etc and it is now time to pay up to my wife for putting up with this spending habit by doing three bathrooms and a kitchen remodel.:(
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,083 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
First, for my use I'm not probably concerned about +/- 10%. This should still give me a good Training Stress Score or equivalent.

Drafting, side winds should have no affect. The frontal air pressure vector is all that (basically) matters. Rain is one of the questions I'm asking.

The biggest difference should be in riding position and this is the data I'm looking for.

TF
Will ibike data be downloadable into cyclingpeaks? I haven't been paying that much attention to the ibike so forgive my ignorance. But remember that TSS is based on the amount of time you spend at a given intensity (the IF side of the equation) and higher intensities are more highly weighted, so it's not a linear calculation of x watts (or kJ, or whatever) = y TSS.

See here for a better explanation than I can give: http://www.cyclingpeaks.com/defined.html
 

· NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shawndoggy said:
Will ibike data be downloadable into cyclingpeaks? I haven't been paying that much attention to the ibike so forgive my ignorance. But remember that TSS is based on the amount of time you spend at a given intensity (the IF side of the equation) and higher intensities are more highly weighted, so it's not a linear calculation of x watts (or kJ, or whatever) = y TSS.

See here for a better explanation than I can give: http://www.cyclingpeaks.com/defined.html
I believe that it will be a .csv file that will go directly or indirectly into CyclingPeaks. They mention using CyclingPeaks with the iBike data on their web site.

TF
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
shawndoggy said:
Will ibike data be downloadable into cyclingpeaks?
Yes, it'll download in to CPS. Not yet, but soon. It downloads to a CSV right now. It's got a faster download than anything I've ever seen.

iBikes started shipping this week. I saw a room full of them tonight.

The physics have been solved. So get in line, do the tilt & coast-down, and compare it for yourself.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top