Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
chevy spammed me with its volt. they are marketing it at a "net" price.
$33,500net*
Price after tax savings. Net price shown includes the full $7,500 tax credit. $41,000 MSRP3 with federal tax savings from $0 up to $7,500
*2 Price based on MSRP less $7,500 tax credit, which benefits the lessor. Subject to customer's eligibility for the maximum credit. Tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment extra. Consult your tax professional before claiming any tax credit. Price includes $720 destination freight charges.
3 Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. Tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment extra.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
As cool as the idea of the volt is, and as much as I like the concept, a "review" sponsored by chevy at their proving ground is somewhat less than an unbiased test.

Get this thing in the hands of real automotive journalists, let them test it long term, and then get back to us with how it performs in the real world. Otherwise, this is just an 8 minute press release.

·
Motorator
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
buck-50 said:
As cool as the idea of the volt is, and as much as I like the concept, a "review" sponsored by chevy at their proving ground is somewhat less than an unbiased test.

Get this thing in the hands of real automotive journalists, let them test it long term, and then get back to us with how it performs in the real world. Otherwise, this is just an 8 minute press release.
And that'll happen - be patient. What makes this 'test' of interest is that it does answer a few questions that have been hanging out there for a while, such as how fast is its 0-60 time; can it really go 40 miles before the gas engine kicks in (it went 43+).

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I am pretty sure other people have tested the Volt already.

What it comes down to is that it costs more than a cheap econo beater gas alternative.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
the idea is fine, the accomidations and pricing are horrific

Chevy couldn't figure out how to get the batteries packaged in there in a way that didn't eat all the trunkspace up. the trunkspace on that thing is about the same size as the little 2 seat droptop SLK from mercedes

I was reading somthing this AM about a dealer that was openly planning to take every volt they get and selling it for 20K over sticker...

anyone who pays 60k for this vehicle is a unique individual

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
You could make a movie called "Death Car", with some guy trapped in his Chevy Volt and taking on a horrific ride by remote control via smartphone.

Wait a minute, get a smart enough haxxor, and that could possibly done IRL. Brilliant, Chevy made a potential terror car.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Ventruck said:
You could make a movie called "Death Car", with some guy trapped in his Chevy Volt and taking on a horrific ride by remote control via smartphone.

Wait a minute, get a smart enough haxxor, and that could possibly done IRL. Brilliant, Chevy made a potential terror car.
A guy in my town is making a humongous house boat that can be run/steered from his cell phone. $40,000 in electronics, $350,000 into the boat which will be moored on the St. Croix River near the Twin Cities.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
rather get a nissan leaf... and if the current literature is reasonably accurate, I will.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Urb said:
rather get a nissan leaf... and if the current literature is reasonably accurate, I will.
although at least the leaf is priced a bit more reasonably, I still think the smart consumer sits the first round or two of the electric cars out and waits for a more practical solution to arrive

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
i like the concept of the Volt, but the numbers are fuqt.

the battery allows for 40 miles and the gas power generator allows extending the range another 300 miles. 40 on the battery, 300 with gas producing the voltage.

they need to get to the point that the battery is giving at minimum 200 miles and the gas backup fills in the last 100 miles. that makes sense to me. and it would make even more sense if the gas powered generator could be used to charge the batteries. that allows you to use the car to travel to remote locations with a gas canister strapped on the side.

i realize that the battery technology isn't that advanced, but compared to what the EV1 had, we are getting there. the MTN mode is going to f many people up - i wonder if they could read a GPS route that the driver is following and pre-set the modes based on that - auto select based on terrain.

transmissions are horribly inefficient - the Volt is a step in the right direction. i would prefer to have a car that uses an engine to drive a generator which in turn runs an electric motor to propel the car with battery aux that collect regenerative braking power. basically, i want a diesel locomotive type system, not the gas engine which drives the wheels directly via transmission. the throttle should regulate voltage, not the amount of fuel to burn.

i know, it's too radical.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
"the battery allows for 40 miles and the gas power generator allows extending the range another 300 miles. 40 on the battery, 300 with gas producing the voltage."

And that's at 68 degrees, with AC not on, and no headlights.

What about 95 degrees at night?..........Or 15 degrees, so you need heat, and headlights??

The 2019 Volt is a possibility.

·
Motorator
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
The 2019 Volt is a possibility.
Yeah, if you last that long. Me - I want my 100mpg/sub 9 sec. 0-60 now. I may check out sooner than later.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts