Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently diagnosed with an enlargement of the aortic root (4.2cm) and was told it was likely caused by my training and racing. I'm 36 and I've been racing primarily cross and some road about 3 yrs, and have worked up to 8 to 12 hours of training a week. The cardiologist said I should stop all racing and vigorous activities, sticking to walks and very easy <1 hr bike rides. I've been put on high blood pressure medication as well...

Has anyone had this diagnoses and had to curtail their cycling that severely? Obviously I don't want to risk anything serious, I was just curious if anyone else has experience with something similar.

I don't post often but I do appreciate the knowledge base here on RBR and consult it often. Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I haven't had any similar experiences, but I would definatly get a second and possibly third opinion. Is there treatment for something of that sort?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a bicuspid aortic valve and my cardiologist has told me to continue to work out regularly to reduce the chance of it enlarging. I have been told not to do heavy lifting due to the amount of blood pressure increase it may cause.

They also measure my heart every few years to make sure it is not growing. (kinda like the grinch's)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm getting a second opinion next week. The hope is that the blood pressure medication and reduction in exercise will lower the pressure on the aorta.

Hopefully in 3 months when I check it again it will be stable and not growing and hopefully I'll be able to return to a more reasonable level of cycling.

Thanks

·
I'm workin' on it....
251 Posts
I have a bicuspid aortic valve and my cardiologist has told me to continue to work out regularly to reduce the chance of it enlarging. I have been told not to do heavy lifting due to the amount of blood pressure increase it may cause.

They also measure my heart every few years to make sure it is not growing. (kinda like the grinch's)
Same for me. I get an echocardiogram done once every five years to keep tabs on it. I've always been told by my doc(s) that plenty of aerobic exercise is good. Some time down the road it will probably need to be replaced, but I'm going to put that off as long as possible.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cmclainjr said:
what symtoms led to your diagnosis?
I had high blood pressure (145/95) at the dentist about a month ago. I followed up with my primary care physician who did an EKG and was sent for an echo following the EKG. My blood pressure has gone back down to normal (130/80ish) for me.

I assumed the high blood pressure had something to do with overtraining, I was just about to go on a week long vacation so I was pushing it a little hard right before my week off the bike.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Golig,

I had bicuspid valve which produced enlarged aorta. My doctor encouraged exercise except for lifting weights. You will need to monitor the size. Mine eventually needed surgery, and yours may also. I had the surgery one year ago today. I was riding my bike again within six weeks, and everything is better than ever today. I had CT scans every six months.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I do not believe that vigorous exercise or training is the cause
of your aortic root dilation. It though may have accelarated the
dilation rate via a pre-existing defect. Most aneurysms / dilations
are due to connective tissue defects in the wall of the aorta and
hypertension. But cutting back on strenouous activities and controlling
blood pressure would be advised as well as periodic echos to see
if the aneurysm is expanding. Good luck, stay healthy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
dombey19:

What type of valve did you have get? Is it metal? Do you need to take blood thinners?

I have a bad aortic value as well. It doesn't seal correctly and some of the blood that gets pumped out flows back in. I also get an echo every year and my cardiologist compares the results from year to year. He didn't put any limits on my biking except to say I shouldn't race. The main concern is that my blood pressure goes up as I exercise. My cardiologist said I will need to get the valve replaced eventually but it is better to delay it as long as possible.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies, this has been quite a roller coaster for me.

I got a second opinion and had my aorta re-measured with a transesophogeal echo and an additional echo. It measured 3.8cm in both and the doctor removed the restrictions on my cycling. I am taking blood pressure meds and will have another echo in 6 months to keep an eye on it. Hopefully time will show my aorta is normal...

Sure makes me appreciate my health. It is nice to hear others who have been through similar problems and are still active and healthy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aortic root enlargement is not caused by exercise. It is more likely a hereditary condition, such as Marfan's or Ehlers Danlos syndrome, or may be related to hypertension. Furthermore, exercise results in a decrease in systemic bloodpressure due to a decrease in peripheral resistance. As muscles develop increased vascularity, there is less outflow resistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.