1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
While it was a horrible thing...

cityeast said:
I no longer think very highly of the German justice system: :mad:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18040661-2,00.html

I doubt civil proceedings would be an option.
While this was a horrible accident, that's just what it was unfortunately, a horrible accident. You don't honestly think that the girl who was driving is not going to think about this probably every day of her life from here on out? She is young. She made a horrible decision. And it was a tragic accident. In this case, there is nothing that could be said good that comes from giving this girl a longer or harsher sentence. It wasn't something intentional.

·
Lurkaholic
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
magnolialover said:
While this was a horrible accident, that's just what it was unfortunately, a horrible accident. You don't honestly think that the girl who was driving is not going to think about this probably every day of her life from here on out? She is young. She made a horrible decision. And it was a tragic accident. In this case, there is nothing that could be said good that comes from giving this girl a longer or harsher sentence. It wasn't something intentional.
An accident cause by negligence. I would certainly be against a custodial sentence, but a meer 8 months driving ban an a 3000US fine is peanuts really. I would have suggested some form of community service at least . Apparently she has offered no form of apology or sympathy to the family and other victims involved. I think the family deserve at least that.

I watch a lot of german news here and see other drivers get a lot harsher penalties for lesser accidents. I feel perhaps leniency was afforded because the victims were from a faraway land, therefore out of sight and out of mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.