Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...because I'm willing to ask these obviously "noob" questions.

1) Though I've been riding for a year now, I've still not mastered the mystery of the presta valve. How the hell do you get the pump nozzle off the valve without losing half the air in the damn tube? And without bending the valve pin? (or, maybe I'm just a dork!) :D

2) Quick release. I can never seem to get the damn front wheel back in and lined up so that it doesn't rub the brakes on one side or the other. This may be a function of me hitting too many potholes (numbnuts) or my cheap eBay bike, or a good combination of both. It seems the skewer always ends up too opened up on one side or another, and then gets misadjusted when I put it back on.

Any "rules of thumb" out there? Thanks for helping a brotha out. :cool:

-OwMyNads

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
No such thing as a dumb question......

1) Though I've been riding for a year now, I've still not mastered the mystery of the presta valve. How the hell do you get the pump nozzle off the valve without losing half the air in the damn tube? And without bending the valve pin? (or, maybe I'm just a dork!) :D

The air you are hearing is the air in your pump, not your tire. When you pump up a tire, you are increasing the air pressure in the pump tube, when you release it off the valve, you are hearing the air escaping from the pump.

2) Quick release. I can never seem to get the damn front wheel back in and lined up so that it doesn't rub the brakes on one side or the other. This may be a function of me hitting too many potholes (numbnuts) or my cheap eBay bike, or a good combination of both. It seems the skewer always ends up too opened up on one side or another, and then gets misadjusted when I put it back on.

To tell if it is your rim that is the problem, spin the wheel with the brake released, watch the distqance between the rim & the brake pad. If that distance changes, your wheel is out of true, if the distance is the same, it's not your rim.

The easiest way to get the front wheel aligned is to seat it by standing the bike up on the wheel before you close the quick release. This will seat the wheel equally on both sides of the fork.

To make it easy to get the QR in the same place try this. Play around with looseneing and tightening the nut until you get the QR in the perfect position when closed (the place you would like it to always be when you close it). Open the QR. turn the nut exactly 6 turns. You should be able to get the wheel off. Now put the wheel back on. Turn the nut exactly 6 times in the opposite direction. close the QR. You should get pretty close to your starting position.

The other alternative is to file off the "lawyer lips".

Good luck

Len

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
owmynads said:
...because I'm willing to ask these obviously "noob" questions.

Really? Prestas are self-closing. You shouldn't be losing air, unless you still have the little plastic shrader-valve pin pointed out in your pump. If so, take the head off and turn the pin around.

owmynads said:

-OwMyNads
Yes. Make sure the wheel is centered in the forks, then adjust the brake to center.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
owmynads said:

-OwMyNads
If the wheel is not lined up good enough, tighten the QR, ride a few feet, open the QR and retighten the QR. This always centers it for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts