Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lausanne, 30 June 2008 –
The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has dismissed the appeal filed by the American cyclist Floyd Landis and has confirmed the initial decision issued by a Panel of the American Arbitration Association (AAA) on 20 September 2007. Consequently, Floyd Landis is disqualified from the Tour de France 2006 and is suspended for a period of two years starting from 30 January 2007. Floyd Landis has been ordered to pay the sum of USD 100'000 to the United States Anti-doping Agency (USADA) as a contribution towards its costs in the CAS arbitration.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Guy is crazy for thinking it was going to go otherwise. The doping war is almost a witch hunt at this point, and if you test positive, pretty much no "excuse" is going to be listened to, rightly or wrongly.

I bet Iban Mayo loses his appeal too, and he even has the luxury of having his B sample originally test inconclusive.

(I do not think Landis is innocent by the way)

· Registered
82 Posts
I have my doubts about FL too but I must admit that I'm a little perplexed at his insistence on continuing the fight. It has cost him big $ at time when I'd imagine his income is limited and he had no real chance of winning.

(Some run-on sentence I've created here)

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Are we suprised? :Yawn:

· Registered
434 Posts
JSR said:
Surprised only by the unanimity of the panel's condemnation of Landis' defense tactics.

"You're guilty, you're banned from the date that hurts you worst, and fork over $100K for being a dick."

JR
Don't worry, I am sure Michael Ball will raid the petty cash and bail out poor Floyd. Of course now Ball owns Floyd's soul.

· Registered
6,422 Posts
To appear...

quickfeet18 said:
how the hell does the cas have the power to charge floyd 100k, I would tell them to suck it.

I do believe he is innocent because if he were guilty why would he blow the remaining money he has on his defense.
To appear to be innocent. The sad thing about this whole mess is this. If Landis hadn't done anything legally, took his punishment say from August of 2006, he'd be eligible to race in about 2 months, and someone would hire him for sure. I would have no doubt about it. But because he is sort of pretentious and kind of egotistical about it, he fought it (rightly, or wrongly), spent all of his money, and his wife's money, and I'm sure dipped into the kid's college fund for what? To have the same end result. Guilty or innocent, this was always going to be the outcome. It's so hard to challenge your doping convictions. Look at Pettachi. Dude got busted for puffing on his inhaler, and had an exemption to use it, and he still got banned for a short time, and dumped from his team because of it. Landis, again, innocent, or guilty, never had a chance to win. It's not a legal criminal case, and the rules are different.

He had to go and ride races, and still compete on the bike, when if he had shut up, sat down, and sat out his 2 years, he'd be saddling up again in 2 months, but no, he had to fight it, he was going to show the UCI and USADA and he still lost. Now, there is a good chance he'll never be a pro bike racer again. A very good chance. I know, if you're innocent you want to prove yourself innocent, but sometimes, it's hard to do that, especially in a stacked deck like the UCI and USADA have against dopers. Simple as that. It is a system where the athlete is meant to lose. And they do. Case in point, Landis.

Ah well.. I don't know if the man did or didn't do it, but I think, and my opinion is, is that he did.

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
AJL said:
I just hope this is finally the end.
Of course "guilty" is a law term and not sure proof that an offence was committed. Take OJ for instance. Irrespective of the legal findings in Floyd's case, to me anyway, it seems totally ridiculous that someone in his position would think that he was smarter than drug testing.

· Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
Meh, sort of a dog bites man story by now. Sure, I suppose it would have been cool if they saw it Floyd's way because I did enjoy that ride, but they didn't. To me this was a shoulder shrug and move on. Thats sports. You have to sift through a lot of BS, stupidity, etc to get to the good stuff.

Here's to a TdF with the right kind of drama.

· Banned
608 Posts
Cyclo-phile said:
All those who say the believe FL is guilty would do themselves a big favor by reading the transcript and analysis of the original hearing at http://trustbut.blogspot.com. Be warned, being informed may change your mind.
Sure it will. TBV is run by a crackpot who would tell you the sky is green if it helped Floyd. The CAS decision is devastating if you read it. Not only does it make Floyd look like a lying sack, it damns his defense team, including the so called scientists he got to defend him. The $100K was effectively punative damages for Floyd's unjustified smears on the lab and anti-doping system.

· Registered
3,140 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
Sure it will. TBV is run by a crackpot who would tell you the sky is green if it helped Floyd. The CAS decision is devastating if you read it. Not only does it make Floyd look like a lying sack, it damns his defense team, including the so called scientists he got to defend him. The $100K was effectively punative damages for Floyd's unjustified smears on the lab and anti-doping system.

Yes both sides have issues documents damning the other too bad I don't believe either of em fully.

· More cowbell!
2,729 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
I realize TBV has a serious FL slant. I wasn't suggesting you read the opinions there, but rather the transcript and form your opinion based on that.

· Registered
5,671 Posts
As a lab director at a research university, I can assure you if this were a case of scientific misconduct, the LNDD would be in serious trouble, as they operated with appalling standards. As a commercial lab operating for an agency that accepts garbage results, which apparently CAS took at face value (no one on the panel has any scientific expertise in so far as I can see), its not hard to see how they reached their verdict. I can't think of a single basic scientific experimental principle that LNDD didn't violate.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.