Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on using Apple TV for Zwift when I redo my basement.
Currently, I use a laptop.
I normally use my Favero Assioma pedals as my power source and my Kickr18 as my controllable trainer. I also use a Wahoo Tickr for HR, and usually use my pedals or a separate cadence sensor for cadence (but I’d finu using the Kickr).
I know that I’ll need to use the companion app to get additional BT channels, but will I be able to use my power meter pedals to control my Kickr? Those would make up the two available channels, then I’d use the companion app for HR.
Also, does the companion app have to be on the iPhone screen all the time for everything to work? I occasionally text, email etc. while on Zwift.

Thanks!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess a question here, why aren't you using the Kickr for power?
Because I use the pedals for my outside riding & training.
When I am training for a hill climb race, I have specific wattage targets.
The Kickr gives power after drivetrain losses, the pedals do not.
It doesn't matter to me what the power number is, it just has to be reproducible.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Because I use the pedals for my outside riding & training.
When I am training for a hill climb race, I have specific wattage targets.
The Kickr gives power after drivetrain losses, the pedals do not.
It doesn't matter to me what the power number is, it just has to be reproducible.
Today I set up an AppleTV app that’s available on my Samsung TV. I proved connectivity from my phone, but didn’t go farther than that, so I don’t have a response to your original question.

it might be interesting to see if your theory about drive-train loss actually produces a meaningful difference. You could link your pedals to your regular bike computer while the Kickr is linked to the Wahoo app. In that way you could compare power readings in both configurations simultaneously. Even if they’re different, if the difference is linear across the power band you might have a workaround.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It might be interesting to see if your theory about drive-train loss actually produces a meaningful difference. You could link your pedals to your regular bike computer while the Kickr is linked to the Wahoo app. In that way you could compare power readings in both configurations simultaneously. Even if they’re different, if the difference is linear across the power band you might have a workaround.
I've done this. The difference is around 3% in average power. I used a Garmin 530 to record power from the Kickr (when it was not being controlled by the pedals) and a Garmin FR935 to record power from the Favero Assioma Duo pedals.
There is a quicker response from the pedals than the Kickr, which makes sense, so on hill intervals it helps to have that fast response. I can also check my L/R balance with the pedals, I've had times where an injury has had me at 55%/45%, and times when I'm fatigued (not injured) and it goes to 47%/53% (this is why I wouldn't use a single-sided power meter to control the Kickr).

There have been times when I have done several calibrations of the pedals & spin downs with the Kickr and had the power numbers within a couple of watts of each other.

Again, for me it's mostly about having a power number that is reproducible, and using the same power meter on the road and to control the Kickr does that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts