Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to apply Frame Saver to my Serotta CIII and can't find any hole or entry to apply Frame Saver to Seat Stays or Chain Stays. Can someone point me in the correct direction. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
234 Posts
The way it USUALLY works is...

there are small holes on the inside of the seat stays, just behind the seat cluster, and there are openings for the chain stays inside the bottom bracket shell (must remove cranks and bb).

For the seat stays, you need to use a little plastic noodle to spray some stuff into the little hole at the top of the tube, and you have to roll the frame around to spread the stuff out. You need multiple short bursts of the can--if you give a prolonged blast, you will just have the stuff squirt out at you (the volume of the entire seat tube is small). You have to cover the entire interior surface of this (and every other) tube.

For the chain stays, you have to spray from inside the bb shell and roll the bike around. Fill it up nicely.

OK, if there are no holes in the seat stays and no holes in the bb shell into the chain stays, then the tubes are sealed, and you can't do nothin'. Some makers have been known to do this, but it is not that common.

·
Registered
90 Posts
JimH, As elvis has mentioned look inside the Seat tube and the head tube, then the BB shell, I felt compeled to note that to properly apply frame saver you will need to strip the frame compleatly. What you do to get a good "coating" is to apply liberaly and then hang the frame from differant possitions allowing at least 24 hours between moves. Then after you get all the insides coated drain the tubes and let dry for 24/48 hours before assembly. This sounds like a lot of work but done correctly it dose a great job, it's a great product. All the best -- Bill

·
Banned
653 Posts
JimH said:
I'm trying to apply Frame Saver to my Serotta CIII and can't find any hole or entry to apply Frame Saver to Seat Stays or Chain Stays. Can someone point me in the correct direction. Thanks Jim
Depending on the frame there may be no holes present. I may need to be corrected here,
but with TIG welded frames, those holes in the stays which are present my older type
steel frame (to aid in the escape of gases during welding) are not needed. At least on
my Pegoretti there are none.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advise tuscanybill. They are a little vague on the can about hanging in different positions and how long to wait before assembling. I thought because this is the first time I've done this that I would follow your advise and maybe recoat lightly next weekend and working it around again next week then assemble. I'm in no real hurry Upstate NY is that nice yet.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,410 Posts
"Frame Saver" should be applied before the frame is built up. Anything you do now will be a waste of time and effort. If you want to do it at least halfway right, you need to pull the crank and bottom bracket.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
The label states "this can will treat several frames." I put in an entire can into one frame. Did I put in several times too much? I think it was two coats.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,410 Posts
a third of a can should be enough.
If you want to save money, and do just as good of a job, buy some Lindseed oil. It will treat 15-20 frames. You'll have to use something to squirt it into the tubes though.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Holes in TIG frames

Road cyclist said:
Depending on the frame there may be no holes present. I may need to be corrected here,
but with TIG welded frames, those holes in the stays which are present my older type
steel frame (to aid in the escape of gases during welding) are not needed. At least on
my Pegoretti there are none.
Any time you are heating up enclosed spaces (such as frame tubes) for welding or brazing you need some type of vent hole hole, to prevent gas pressure from building up (heated gasses could bubble out the joint, forcing melted metals out or causing gaps or bubbles in the weld/braze). In addition, many inert gas welding technologies require some type of purge hole, so that inert gases may be "injected" into the tubes to prevent atmospheric contamination. So your TIG Pegoretti undoubtedly had some venting holes. However, many frame builder seal these holes after welding and/or brazing, so it may not be obvious where they were.

Some companies, like Independent Fabrications, seal the tubes in the frames in some manner. These tubes don't need Frame Saver or the like, because water can't get into them. That being said, there are always some portions of the frame which can't be sealed, like the BB shell or the head tube.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts