Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I removed my crankset today and noticed a great amount of grease in the BB external cups where the outer race of the bearings rest on. Is this normal? Or did my LBS mechanic apply the grease when he built up the bike? I'm thinking of removing the grease with some citrus degreaser as there also seems to be so dirt around that area also. Then I would just re-install the crankset without applying any grease in the BB cups. Is the standard process? Btw, it's a '08 Record groupset. Thanks for any inputs.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
New cups come with a white lithium type grease in them. The rest is easy to figure out. Dry cups might give you some serious creaking.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I imagine your mechanic put a generous amount of grease on the cups including the threads. When you reinstall the crankset make sure you do the same thing or, as Juan said, you're risking the probability of some serious creaking - and of course another rebuild. I learned this the hard way.

·
9,790 Posts
The grease keeps the bearings from rusting, keeps road dirt from reaching the bearings, and stops creaking. If you remove the grease, replace it.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Grease in cups is essentially mandatory. Instead of white lithium grease, I'd use something more water-resistant:
-- StaLube boat trailer grease,
-- Park Tool blue grease [my preference], or
-- maybe Phil Wood waterproof grease.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts