Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never used it before... I need it on a new set of rims. I bought some at my LBS, but it is Torelli tape, with no sticky side at all. It appears to be some kind of woven plastic, and it is not cut but is a complete circle.

What's the proper way to apply it? Glue? Use masking tape on top to tape it down? Double sided tape beneath? No tape at all and just hope it fits properly?

Thanks for the help and (hopefully) quick replies! :-D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I think I figured it out. Please post any tips or help you have for this though...

For anyone else wondering, the no-stick version slips on and holds together by being very tight. Be sure to put something through the valve-stem hole, like the valve stem, so the tape doesn't slip over the hole. It's very hard to get the tape off afterwards.
At the end, try to get the tape as centered as possible. Mine was leading up to the edge lip of the clincher rim, so I used a ball point pen to essentially slide it down a little and crush what wouldn't slide so the rim would still grip the tire effectively.

This webpage may be helpful: http://stason.org/TULARC/sports/bicycles/8b-10-Rim-Tape-Summary.html

Also, this webpage has almost everything one needs to know about wheels, tires, & flats, except very little on rim tape.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you were to take an object like a screwdriver blade, but something that won't damage the rim and place it across the rim, under the rim tape when putting it on, you can center the tape properly as the blade will hold it above the rim. When the tape is in position, just pull the blade out fast and the tape will snap into place without any problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.