Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
thien™
925 Posts
For those that don't dare go into the lounge:

You're all invited. Really. All.

Block out your calendar. We've got a date.

But first a little "why" about "this" date.

Mrs. Thinkcooper aka "Miss K" and I are both mentors this year for the Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay chapter of Team in Training, helping riders prep for the Tahoe century in June. Our schedule of mandatory team rides is pretty tight and there's only one date option available. I had wanted to line up the ride closer to April Fools day, cause it seems appropriate. But, alas, the best I can do is set a date "in" April. So here it is.

Date: Saturday, April 25th, 2009.

Mileage: We'll have two rides, but not two groups. Yay! The first group heads out early, then regroups back at the start to join up with the main group for a rolling scenic ride. We'll all finish the scenic ride approximately the same time, in perfect time for festivities.

1. Hammerhead ride: 8:00 AM departure from Santa Cruz. Some steep wall climbs, with fast technical descents, ~25+ miles.

2. Main ride: 10:30 AM departure from Santa Cruz. ~55-65 miles; a rolling ride through strawberry fields, cliffy Pacific coastlines, Monterey Bay sloughs, redwood canyons, and a few short climbs, including Hazel Dell with wickedly fun descents.

Afterwards: Buffet, beer, beverages, and propane. We'll bike to breakfast the next day and close out the weekend with whatever seems appropriate.

Here's a link to RBR threads from last year's ride:
Last year's invite thread
Mickeymac's picture thread from the 2008 ride

I'm confident you'll have a blast. Santa Cruz is a great place to ride, and we'll have a lot of fun. I hope you can make it!

Hotel Links: Here are local hotels in Santa Cruz. They are a wide mix from plush to punked. The Harbor Inn is cute, clean and walking distance from the house. Snapdragen is currently booked there. They have a group room that a few people could split and share.

Although my PM box is full here, feel free to ping me at steve (at) thinkcooper (dot) com

Cheers,

Cooper

·
Registered
451 Posts
Is the "rolling" ride something that can be done on a fixie? For reference, I've ridden up to Huddart Park in a 79-inch gear (coming down was harder than going up!), but anything worse than that and I doubt I can make it...

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Number9 said:
Is the "rolling" ride something that can be done on a fixie? For reference, I've ridden up to Huddart Park in a 79-inch gear (coming down was harder than going up!), but anything worse than that and I doubt I can make it...
I don't ride a fixie but I'm pretty sure it'd be doable. The longest climb is Hazeldell - about 800' vert, over a mile, not very steep, but there is a sustained downhill equal to the climb on the other side - otherwise it's modest rolling terrain.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
I’m still up for the idea of biking to CampCoop™ from San Jose if someone wants to make the trek with me. Otherwise I’ll just either have to live dangerously and do it solo, or just drive to a friend’s place in Watsonville and ride to Santa Cruz from there. Any takers?

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
Leopold Porkstacker said:
I’m still up for the idea of biking to CampCoop™ from San Jose if someone wants to make the trek with me. Otherwise I’ll just either have to live dangerously and do it solo, or just drive to a friend’s place in Watsonville and ride to Santa Cruz from there. Any takers?
I'm a "possible". It mostly depends on whether I get involved in shuttling any folks to SC from the airport that day. Or whether Coop comes up with any "help the desperate hosts" errands that he needs done (I'm volunteering my time to the cause).

(I actually live in SCruz county, but I could get my wife to drop me off in SJ on Friday morning.)

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Coop,
Did you guys ever drink the bottle of Chuerra I left last year? It's a Sardinian Cannonau, let it breath for half an hour before enjoying. If I can get there this year, I'll bring some more aye-talian wine.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bigbill said:
Coop,
Did you guys ever drink the bottle of Chuerra I left last year? It's a Sardinian Cannonau, let it breath for half an hour before enjoying. If I can get there this year, I'll bring some more aye-talian wine.
Thanksgiving 2008, with my B.I.L and S.I.L. It was wonderful. Honestly, I'd forgotten where the bottle originated from. Thank you.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far, we've got ~40 RBR folks from all over the country planning on attending. That doesn't include a bunch of Santa Cruz/Monterey locals.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just added route maps from mapmyride for each of the routes. The total for folks doing both loops will be ~80 miles with ~4000' climbing.

ROUTE MAPS: The mapmyride links for each of the routes have full turn by turn cue notes. I'll print out copies for the group, but if you want to bring your own be my guest.

1. Hammerhead ride: https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ca/santa-cruz/642123916626086418

2. Main ride: https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ca/santa-cruz/519123916504364776

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
Mighty sexy. I'm not going to tackle the hammerhead, but I can't wait to give the other girl a whirl.

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Planning to be there - if people need accommodation, I can have a few sleep at my place, have enough space without disturbing anybody. I'm in Mountain View, that's 40 min from Santa Cruz, and might even be able to provide a ride from the airport, which is only 10 min away. Email at pierre dot moreels at gmail

Second - should I bring something for the BBQ ? If no reply, I'll probably make a cake.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
LOL! My friend’s place is off of Seaview Terrace/Crest, which is off of San Andreas… worst case I’d drive to his place and ride over from there. Nothing beats free parking!

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pierre said:
Planning to be there - if people need accommodation, I can have a few sleep at my place, have enough space without disturbing anybody. I'm in Mountain View, that's 40 min from Santa Cruz, and might even be able to provide a ride from the airport, which is only 10 min away. Email at pierre dot moreels at gmail

Second - should I bring something for the BBQ ? If no reply, I'll probably make a cake.
A dessert would be awesome.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts