Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The odds of this being useful to anyone are slim, but just in case:

There is a great race/ride coming up near Lyon, France, called the 1000 Bosses; if anyone happens to read this and will be in the area at the end of April, check it out:

http://www.scott1000bosses.com/course-cyclosportive-monts-du-lyonnais/

It's a fantastic event that combines a Trophée d'Or race with a relaxed, cyclosportif atmosphere that traverses the gorgeous terrain of les Monts du Lyonnais, a small chain of mountains just outside the Lyon metro area with some fabulous riding. There will be a few moderately famous racers, but a majority of the 2000 or so riders are normal folks.

If anyone is interested feel free to post here or PM me! The website is unfortunately not available in English, but most of the details are pretty easy to figure out (BTW 'bosses' are 'hills': 2800 meters of climbing for the long event doesn't need translation...)

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Glad nobody came:)

Just to follow up: the 2009 Scott 1000 Bosses was a complete nightmare. It poured from start to finish, was windy as hell, it was unseasonably cold and about half the field either didn't start, ran a shorter distance than they had registered for or dropped out.

It took me 6:11 to go 139k in that quagmire, and it was the closest to hypothermia I've ever been. The last 40k are almost all downhill as you roll back down from the mountains, and I nearly crashed because I couldn't make my numb fingers squeeze the brakes.

It was, incidentally, the only 100% rainy, stormy day of spring here. WTF.

Come next year!! There is no way that happens two years in a row, and it's normally about the classiest event you're likely to find:).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for another idea about riding in France which is not riding over some famous high mountain pass or following a stage of the Tour de France race.

There's so many fun hills and farms between Lyon and the Alps which are actually prettier and more fun than the famous climbs and passes that get publicized in the Tour de France.

Ken

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ken Roberts said:
Thanks for another idea about riding in France which is not riding over some famous high mountain pass or following a stage of the Tour de France race.

There's so many fun hills and farms between Lyon and the Alps which are actually prettier and more fun than the famous climbs and passes that get publicized in the Tour de France.

Ken
Ain't that the truth:). Most French riders that I know get up into the Alps maybe once or twice a year for a 'mythic climb,'--usually at least 50% tourists on a given day--but the meat and potatoes of training for most people takes place in the little mountain chains, volcanoes and other geographical oddities that dot the French map. It's hilly everywhere: with two exceptions (les Landes and a rather wide and boring stretch in central France between Bourgogne and Paris and about as wide), it's hard to go very far in this country without running into some elevation. Thus their obsession with climbing; if you don't climb here you don't exist.

Actually, les monts du Lyonnais are immediately west of Lyon and not part of the pre-Alps action, but who's counting:).

Incidentally, one good thing that came out of the 1000 Bosses was a hardcopy collection of just about every cyclosportif event in France this season (about 150 events). It doesn't exist on the internet, but if anyone stumbles on this thread and wants to know if there is anything in a particular area at a particular time, feel free to ask:).

There is even going to be a 140K ride on the freeway! This I'm going to do. It's a chunk of brand new freeway that hasn't opened yet, and the ride is part of the grand opening celebration of the freeway. That ought to be interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts