Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I started to apply Aquaseal on the deteriorating sidewalls of my Challenge Grifo clinchers off my dirt road bike. I got the idea from previous posts on this forum.

I started to apply the Aquaseal with a brush but this seemed less than ideal as the liquid from the tube was quite thick. The directions on the packet suggested warming the tube in hot water to thin it out. This I did for 15 minutes. It didn't make much, if any, difference.

Before long I abandoned the brush's bristles and completed the job by spreading the A/S with the brush handle. This made the job easier.

I'm less than satisfied with the job and didn't attempt the 2nd tire. It just looks like a shiny, goopy mess. I was expecting a more liquid, thinner coating. I used about 3/4 of one tube for one tire.

Has anyone tried this and been happy with the results? Has anyone found a thinner seam sealer that did a good job?

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
The same company makes a SeamGrip. It seemed like the ideal consistency at room temp. I bought a small tube with an included brush tip and covered 2 tires no problem. Pretty sure it was the 1oz. size.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
The same company makes a SeamGrip. It seemed like the ideal consistency at room temp. I bought a small tube with an included brush tip and covered 2 tires no problem. Pretty sure it was the 1oz. size.
Where did ya get it PB? I wonder if Wallymart has it.

G

·
I used a nitrile glove and spread it with my fingers on my Challenge tires this year. I was pretty happy with it and will probably do it that way later this year.

·
check out the podium
535 Posts
kytyree said:
I used a nitrile glove and spread it with my fingers on my Challenge tires this year. I was pretty happy with it and will probably do it that way later this year.
I've used a glove and even just stuck my hand in a sandwich bag. Both work fine.

That said, I'll never use aquaseal again. It works great for a race or two, then traps more dirt and water against the sidewall allowing it to seep down into the base tape than would otherwise happen.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
518 Posts
myette10 said:
I've used a glove and even just stuck my hand in a sandwich bag. Both work fine.

That said, I'll never use aquaseal again. It works great for a race or two, then traps more dirt and water against the sidewall allowing it to seep down into the base tape than would otherwise happen.

Enjoy.
yeah, my aquasealed fangos look like sh*t now. i thought i did a good job of coating them but they're showing some discoloration at the base tape, possibly some rotting. i liked the tires but not thrilled about the lifespan and added maintenance compared to tufos.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I used my Grifos for two seasons before sealing them. They are permanently discolored, which started happening right away, but I also noticed that the original coating has worn away and the casing was starting to look threadbare.

Not too concerned about how they look at this point, but keeping them water resistant and protecting the nylon seems like a good idea.

·
check out the podium
535 Posts
ZenNMotion said:
Put it on AFTER mounting the tires to best protect the basetape/rim interface...
I hope that you are not counting on that bond lasting very long... Like a lap or two during warm ups. Low pressure + lateral forces = cracks in that seal.... it's going to happen and there isn't much you can do about it.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the answers here. Does anyone know of a thinner that could be used with Aquaseal? I've got 1.25 tubes of the stuff here, don't want to throw them away but I'm not about to goop that stuff on my 2nd tire. I'd like to thin it and paint it on in a nice thin coating.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I really like using generic seam sealer that you can get at wally world. It is about the consistency of water, but is the same basic formula as Aquaseal. I like it because it goes on VERY thin. It can easily penetrate the casing fibers. It doesn't make the usual aquaseal like, rubbery coating on the sidewalls. But, it does coat and protect the casing fibers pretty good.

I will never use aquaseal again, for the reasons mentioned above. It just cracks and then traps dirt and water against the casing.... where it is difficult to clean... and can't evaporate.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Corndog said:
I really like using generic seam sealer that you can get at wally world. It is about the consistency of water, but is the same basic formula as Aquaseal. I like it because it goes on VERY thin. It can easily penetrate the casing fibers. It doesn't make the usual aquaseal like, rubbery coating on the sidewalls. But, it does coat and protect the casing fibers pretty good.

I will never use aquaseal again, for the reasons mentioned above. It just cracks and then traps dirt and water against the casing.... where it is difficult to clean... and can't evaporate.
That sounds like just what I need. I'm off to Wallyworld. Zoooomm>>> I just hope there's no fat women in sweatpants plugging the aisles.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thinkcooper said:
Why not use actual latex? It's what the tires are made of.
Good question. I used latex on tubular sidewalls years ago when I used them. Then after that, the normal machine made clinchers didn't have deteriorating sidewalls so there was no issue. Now I'm back to handmade tires with these Challenge clinchers and bio-degradable sidewalls. I was hoping that something more 'hi-tech' than latex had come down the pipe since I last used tubulars 23 years ago. I wasn't thrilled with the pallet-knife consistency of the Aquaseal and I'm hoping for a thin hi-tech liquid I guess. I dunno.

I've already had to stick some tread down with contact cement and now the sidewalls are going slightly threadbare. I must be mad :mad2: .....but they feel soooooo good.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Mike T. said:
Good question. I used latex on tubular sidewalls years ago when I used them. Then after that, the normal machine made clinchers didn't have deteriorating sidewalls so there was no issue. Now I'm back to handmade tires with these Challenge clinchers and bio-degradable sidewalls. I was hoping that something more 'hi-tech' than latex had come down the pipe since I last used tubulars 23 years ago. I wasn't thrilled with the pallet-knife consistency of the Aquaseal and I'm hoping for a thin hi-tech liquid I guess. I dunno.

I've already had to stick some tread down with contact cement and now the sidewalls are going slightly threadbare. I must be mad :mad2: .....but they feel soooooo good.
I resealed the sidewalls on a set of threadbare vintage green Michelin Mud MTB tires with mold maker's latex - they're like new now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts