Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
coast to coast
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Zen. Exactly what I was looking for! Going to use these rims w polished silver WI T11 hubs on my new Ericksen Ti bike currently in production. Any chance you could recommend a spoke pattern? I'm 165 lbs and my daily ride is typically solo, 40 miles, and a couple 2-3 k ft of elevation change. Takes me 6 miles or so to get thru the city and over the GGB which can be pretty rough going at times. Was thinking 24 or 28/ 32 3x? Thanks again for the photo post.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm 165 lbs and my daily ride is typically solo, 40 miles, and a couple 2-3 k ft of elevation change. Takes me 6 miles or so to get thru the city and over the GGB which can be pretty rough going at times. Was thinking 24 or 28/ 32 3x? Thanks again for the photo post.
I agree with Zen, 24/28 should be more than enough for your weight, in fact it would be bombproof.

I am about the same weight as you and took a gamble; went with 20/24 all CX-Ray on the same hubset, radial front, rear: DS is 2X and NDS is radial.

My builder was fairly confident it'd be fine and it has been fine so far. I used the wheelset in 3 hilly ~80km races, the rear went slightly out of true before the 4th race due to a wipeout I had involving train-tracks and a summersault by the bike over my head, landing on the RD and rear wheel, which bent the hanger so far in that the chain was scraping against the DS spokes. The wheelset was still race-able after that without the need to open brake QRs.

·
coast to coast
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Zen and steer clear of those tracks demonrider! Great info for my next discussion w builder. I've been riding for many moons on wheels I built, old Mavic rims with campy record hubs, 36/36 3x. Need to 'catch up' with current lacing techniques, just abit gun shy. Thanks again.

·
Registered
838 Posts
A thing to remember is there are 2 versions of the Archetype rim, one black anodized and then the other is hard anodized. The hard ano wears much slower but it is not truly black in color, it is kind of black with a olive hue. I have pictures I will post later of the hard ano versions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.