Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the HED worth x2$? Any reason why folks would choose one over the other? From everything I've read it's more a brand thing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hed C2 plus is a little wider, but no. THere is nothing I find that make the Hed rim any better. I have built a bunch of Archtype rims and yet to have any failure. I'm not sure if I have even seen a post about any defective ones. I have seen a C2 crack with factory built Ardennes wheelset.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Archetypes are an extremely good value and very comparable to the HED.
There are a couple of differences which you need to decide if they mean much to you:

The rim track anodizing on the colored Archetype wears off from applying the brakes. It takes a bit of time for all of it to wear off and when it does the separating line between it and the rest of the rim is slightly jagged - not as clean as on the machined side wall HEDs.

The HED C2+ is tubeless ready, the Archetype and the C2 are not.

Other than that, they are pretty similar. I have both and I would strongly recommend either.

Reactions: changingleaf

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Archetypes are an extremely good value and very comparable to the HED.
There are a couple of differences which you need to decide if they mean much to you:

The rim track anodizing on the colored Archetype wears off from applying the brakes. It takes a bit of time for all of it to wear off and when it does the separating line between it and the rest of the rim is slightly jagged - not as clean as on the machined side wall HEDs.

The HED C2+ is tubeless ready, the Archetype and the C2 are not.

Other than that, they are pretty similar. I have both and I would strongly recommend either.
ROckin. I like the look of the C2 better but not 2x$ better...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.