Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the plus sides to the old Ritchey DS Pros were how freely they spun. In particular, the rear wheel (the set are now on my 92 Paramount).
When the new bike arrived it came with Mavic Aksium wheels, the rear being an 11spd. First few rides out, I could sense the drag on the rear wheel..like the brakes were lightly touching the rim.
Taking the freehub out of the equation the aksium spins every bit as freely as the Ritchey so it isn't hub bearings.
I've 'heard' that the more cogs the greater became the need for sturdier and quicker freehubs and with those improvements came more freehub drag.
Is this the case?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
I can't say I've noticed this. I built a set of wheels with Shimano 6800 hubs which are 11-speed. They roll like butter.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
The number of speeds has nothing to do with the load a freehub experiences. The load is dictated by the force applied and gear ratio.

There may be a couple things going on here:

1.) You are comparing two different brand freehubs. One brand could spin more freely than the other.

2.) The new freehub maybe loaded up with fresh grease that is a bit thick. Over time as you ride it, the grease may thin/spread out reducing the freewheel drag.

One other way to reduce freewheel drag is to not coast...just keep spinning. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Doesn't the askium freehub slide against a big plastic washer?

Anyway, how freely a wheel spins unloaded doesn't really tell you much about how it spins when you're coasting.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
As the hub manufacturers tightened up the tolerances in the construction of hubs and freehubs the closer tolerances caused considerable drag within the components. To compensate for this excessive drag, the manufacturers added the eleventh gear, allowing the cyclist to compensate for the added drag by compensating with the extra gear.

Not only did this extra, eleventh gear, compensate for the drag, it also opened up an unexpected rush by cyclists to get the newest improvement in cycling technology in at least ten or twelve months.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
As the hub manufacturers tightened up the tolerances in the construction of hubs and freehubs the closer tolerances caused considerable drag within the components. To compensate for this excessive drag, the manufacturers added the eleventh gear, allowing the cyclist to compensate for the added drag by compensating with the extra gear.

Not only did this extra, eleventh gear, compensate for the drag, it also opened up an unexpected rush by cyclists to get the newest improvement in cycling technology in at least ten or twelve months.
WTF? This entire post is nonsense. The first paragraph is completely made up and the second paragraph is absurd considering 11spd came out 6 years ago and any "rush for the newest technology" (which would have been totally expected) happened back then, not during the last year. Is this poster aware that inexpensive 11spd 105 has been out for over a year?

To answer the OP: Open up your freebub and lube the yellow bushing with mineral oil*. Do this frequently to keep it spinning fast and not wearing out and getting wobbly. Mavic has used this freebub for nearly 2 decades and it's been a kind of junky design the whole time with these known issues. However, with frequent attention it should serve you well.

*Last I checked this was Mavic's advice and they were wary of other lubes degrading the bushing but you could check with them to see if a longer lasting or slipperier lube can be used.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
WTF? This entire post is nonsense. The first paragraph is completely made up and the second paragraph is absurd considering 11spd came out 6 years ago and any "rush for the newest technology" (which would have been totally expected) happened back then, not during the last year. Is this poster aware that inexpensive 11spd 105 has been out for over a year?
It's pretty good you figured this out, now lighten up Francis.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Open up your freebub and lube the yellow bushing with mineral oil*.
The Mavic 'mineral oil' recommendation is a well-known translation error (called "false friend" in the trade) made by a lazy or incompetent translator. The French huile de minérale simply stands for "oil." The de minérale indicates oil derived from petroleum, not plants. The US-English "oil" in operating instructions takes that for granted.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I also figured it was a satirical in nature post.

And to the OP, no I have not noticed a difference in rolling or freehub pawls coasting after upgrading to 11 speed.

I've taken 3 different hubs and upgrade the freehub body to 11 speed (with the appropriate upgrade kit). One is DT240S hub and the others are HED Sonic Hubs (upgraded a couple of Jet rear wheels). All 3 roll and ratchet as smooth as it previously did on 10 speed versions.

It might just be a Mavic thing (as others have stated...never used those wheels myself so I can't say for sure) or a bad freehub body. I've had a new never used hub body that I bought off of eBay not roll very smoothly once installed (a HED kit) and HED customer service was nice enough to replace it for free despite not finding any issues with it (even though I didn't buy it from them). That new one they sent me back rolled smooth. That was great customer service on their part to do this and I only had to cover shipping both ways.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts