Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a result of a cracked rim, I had to go to my spare wheel which has a Conti Ultra Sport trainer tire on it. Now I remember why I bought a trainer specific wheel. It was a pain in the butt to take the tire off.

Is this characteristic of all Continental tires?
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
Uprwstsdr said:
As a result of a cracked rim, I had to go to my spare wheel which has a Conti Ultra Sport trainer tire on it. Now I remember why I bought a trainer specific wheel. It was a pain in the butt to take the tire off.

Is this characteristic of all Continental tires?
no...just the wire beads IME.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,573 Posts
Go figure. I find that Conti wire bead tire are very easy to get on and off.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Go figure. I find that Conti wire bead tire are very easy to get on and off.
probably depends in the combo of rim/tire you're using. I never had more problems than with cheap Conti wire beads. YMMV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
Depends on the rim....

Bocephus Jones II said:
probably depends in the combo of rim/tire you're using. I never had more problems than with cheap Conti wire beads. YMMV.
ANY TIRE on a campy rim is hard to mount. My conti ultras and Michelin ProRace3 go on Alex and Mavic rims with ease. On my campy proton...break out the metal tire irons!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
Try mounting brand new Veloflex Pave/Black on Reynolds carbon clinchers - quire a chore IMHO and the finger prints that have gone missing both thumbs support that assertion. :D
 

·
Cpark
Joined
·
2,106 Posts
Uprwstsdr said:
As a result of a cracked rim, I had to go to my spare wheel which has a Conti Ultra Sport trainer tire on it. Now I remember why I bought a trainer specific wheel. It was a pain in the butt to take the tire off.

Is this characteristic of all Continental tires?
Must be the rims.
I install/uninstall my conti with my hands....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apparently, It is not prevalent to their entire line. Perhaps this tire has a different profile that than their road tires. A Vredestein Tri-Comp mounted easily on each rim.

I guess will have to put Continental on the consideration list.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
270 Posts
El Guapo said:
ANY TIRE on a campy rim is hard to mount. My conti ultras and Michelin ProRace3 go on Alex and Mavic rims with ease. On my campy proton...break out the metal tire irons!
Don't say campy is tuff to mount when your examle is a lower end out-dated wheel . The more recent Campy wheels require no rim tap and all tires slip on like a glove . Like u , I have a set of older Campy wheels (05 zonda) as well , and I can only get cetain tires on without hurting the paws ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Are Conti's "handmade".

I put on a pair of Conti 4000 clinchers this spring. The front went on like a bikini on Paris Hilton. The back tire went on like a bikini on Rosie. For the first couple of hundred miles the back spokes "creaked" until the tire stretched. I even reseated it a few times which helped a little bit.

So I guess the answer is "sometimes".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
Ever notice how easy the first side of the tire installs on the rim whereas the second side is herculean effort? Here's a tip. You need a 6-ft length of 5/16" nylon rope, which you "pack" between the rim and the tire. This holds the tire's bead closer to the center of the rim allowing one to get the last portion of the bead over the top of the rim without any tools. Remove the rope, and add some air!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top