Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, I am not totally sold on carbon fiber frames. I like the Giant carbon, and I hate the Trek carbon. However, I still think frames like the Aluminum TCR and Colnago dreams are really nice frames that I prefer over the carbon. With each year that passes, there is less presence of aluminum frames by manufactuers and more carbon presence. This was the case with Steel a few years ago, but Steel has a cult like following, and I wouldn't say that Aluminum does. As these companies find cheaper ways to produce and fabricate carbon, will they set aside their aluminum frames? I know that Giant hasn't changed their TCR frame in quite some time, so the R&D factor has obviously been pushed aside. Will this happen to the frames as well? If I want an aluminum frame, will I have to settle for an off-brand Taiwanese mass produced frame?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Heck, you can still get a bamboo frame.

Beer can frames aren't going anywhere.

I prefer rust buckets myself although some of my friends prefer plastic and other friends prefer riding sand.

I support my friends.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MB1 said:

I prefer rust buckets myself although some of my friends prefer plastic and other friends prefer riding sand.

I support my friends.
Why bother posting this? You didn't answer any of my questions. My fear is that they will stop making aluminum TCRs, and I get you trying to be a comedian. Of course they are going to continue making aluminum frames in the form of a few frames with a lot of different off-brand names on them. I acknowledged that, however, the big name frame makers seem to be less inclined to continue pushing them.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Why bother posting this? You didn't answer any of my questions. If you check out the Giant Web site for 2006, all the OCRs are now made of carbon. My fear is that they will stop making aluminum TCRs, and I get you trying to be a comedian. Of course they are going to continue making aluminum frames in the form of a few frames with a lot of different off-brand names on them. I acknowledged that, however, the big name frame makers seem to be less inclined to continue pushing them. The Giant OCR was a great beginners bike for the money, and now Giant only list the carbon models on their site.
MB1 did answer your question. He stated that it is his belief that frame manufacturers in general will continue to make aluminum frames. That, I believe was your question. The title of this thread says nothing about Giant specifically, and includes many brands in your initial post. If you want a specific answer, ask a specific question.

My question for you, is this: Have you ever posted anything on this forum that wasn't a troll?

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
For high end frames, i'd wager they are non existant in 5 years. Carbon is better in most respects (maybe all, not sure which is more durable).

Aluminum doesn't have the tradition and appeal of steel frames, so I can't see it sticking around for that reason.

At best Aluminum will be reserved for really low level entry bikes like the GMC DENALI.

Just my thoughts though, I have no insider info.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
What is this then???

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?range=288

OCR® 1
The ALUXX Butted Aluminum frame makes the OCR series affordable and ersatile enough for touring, charity rides, serious commuting, and spirited enough for entry level racing.
[View Details] OCR® 2
The ALUXX Butted Aluminum frame makes the OCR series affordable and ersatile enough for touring, charity rides, serious commuting, and spirited enough for entry level racing.
[View Details] OCR® 3
[View Details]

Or this?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?year=2006&range=240

TCR® 1
The TCR features Compact Road frame geometry and Giant's race proven ALUXX SL aluminium frames.
[View Details] TCR® 2
The TCR features Compact Road frame geometry and Giant's race proven ALUXX SL aluminium frames.
[View Details]

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big Bad John said:
MB1 did answer your question. He stated that it is his belief that frame manufacturers in general will continue to make aluminum frames. That, I believe was your question. The title of this thread says nothing about Giant specifically, and includes many brands in your initial post. If you want a specific answer, ask a specific question.

My question for you, is this: Have you ever posted anything on this forum that wasn't a troll?
Of course, the troll word comes up? I don't post consistently, and I am a troll. What I was trying to say, will the aluminum frame become an endangered species do to oursourcing which is a theme in the business world. This has already started with some companies, and I would hate to see the trend continue. Of course "beer can frames" are going to continued being produced, but so many aluminum frames are the same frame with different stickers. It would be ashame to see this trend continue with companies that produce good aluminum frames.

BTW, I don't like fishing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Einstruzende said:
For high end frames, i'd wager they are non existant in 5 years. Carbon is better in most respects (maybe all, not sure which is more durable).

Aluminum doesn't have the tradition and appeal of steel frames, so I can't see it sticking around for that reason.

At best Aluminum will be reserved for really low level entry bikes like the GMC DENALI.

Thank you for taking this question serioiusly. I have had my doubts about the future of aluminum frames, and I am going to making a purchasing decision based on this discussion.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Of course, the troll word comes up? I don't post consistently, and I am a troll. What I was trying to say, will the aluminum frame become an endangered species do to oursourcing which is a theme in the business world. This has already started with some companies, and I would hate to see the trend continue. Of course "beer can frames" are going to continued being produced, but so many aluminum frames are the same frame with different stickers. It would be ashame to see this trend continue with companies that produce good aluminum frames.

BTW, I don't like fishing.
This is much easier to answer. I think aluminum frames will continue to be outsourced to Taiwan, because they are good at building them, and can do so relatively cheaply. That Giant you ride is a good example.

There will probably continue to be high-end aluminum frames produced elsewhere, such as Orbea, but they will probably diminish in numbers, for economic reasons. I do think that we will continue to have a good availability of high-quality aluminum frames for years to come. I like them too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Granted they are still available. There is no arguing that, but there has been less emphasis on the TCR aluminum and they keep reducing the models they have available each year. I don't plan on them disappearing next year, but I think there is a real possibility that many manufactuers like Giant will discontinue these models, and the manufacturers that don't discontinue them will be more likely to slap their names on the stuff coming out of Taiwan.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big Bad John said:
This is much easier to answer. I think aluminum frames will continue to be outsourced to Taiwan, because they are good at building them, and can do so relatively cheaply. That Giant you ride is a good example.

There will probably continue to be high-end aluminum frames produced elsewhere, such as Orbea, but they will probably diminish in numbers, for economic reasons. I do think that we will continue to have a good availability of high-quality aluminum frames for years to come. I like them too.
Wait a minute? My Giant is outsourced? Yes it is made in Taiwan, but I always understood that Giant had their own factory and actually produced frames for other manufactuers. Is this not correct?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Manufacturers are not required to build what folks won't buy.

Granted they are still available. There is no arguing that, but there has been less emphasis on the TCR aluminum and they keep reducing the models they have available each year. I don't plan on them disappearing next year, but I think there is a real possibility that many manufactuers like Giant will discontinue these models, and the manufacturers that don't discontinue them will be more likely to slap their names on the stuff coming out of Taiwan.
I think it is crazy that manufacturers don't make all their entry level frames out of steel but then I only buy a frame every few years.....Giant (and all other brands) sure don't want to be trailing the industry trend and get stuck with a years production of stuff that doesn't sell.

If they can bring down the cost of frames that folks want to buy good for them. If they stop making stuff that folks don't want to buy who can find fault with that. Most of the bike industry isn't about building the best bike for the money, it is about selling the most bikes for the money.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Thank you for taking this question serioiusly. I have had my doubts about the future of aluminum frames, and I am going to making a purchasing decision based on this discussion.

I don't see how that is possible with this discussion... :confused:

Very few people care about aluminum bikes anymore..

Have you tried Cannondale bikes?? They stretch the aluminum VERY thin - and if you pluck it like the carbon - you just might hear a carbon sound it is so thin and be tricked.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I've visited the Giant factory in Taiwan.

Wait a minute? My Giant is outsourced? Yes it is made in Taiwan, but I always understood that Giant had their own factory and actually produced frames for other manufactuers. Is this not correct?
It was very impressive with a huge staff and the ability to run several bikes a minute off their lines. It is mostly an assembly operation although when I was there they were still making all of their carbon frames in house, I suspect with the higher volume of the lower end bicycles they could well be outsourcing the frames to other companies or even to mainland China where most Taiwan bicycle factories have opened new facilities to take advantage of lower costs.

·
On your left!
1,301 Posts
MB1's response is legit

MB1 said:

I support my friends.

alu frames will be around for a long time...Remember there are other bikes besides road bikes. Mountain bikes are not going to trickle down to carbon at anywhere near the move to carbon that the road market has seen.

As long as Giant and other makers have to buy tons of alu tubes for their biggest market, mtb's, I think alu will enjoy a healthly long life in the road market.

I also agree that most high end models may all become carbon. But alu is here to stay. Just look at the big box stores, the Schwinn road models for example.

That frame, 20 years ago, would have been a grand or near it. The frame weighs in at 3.7 pounds, heavy by today's standards but light weight to the recreational entry level rider.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Einstruzende said:

I totaly disagree.
Look at the rising material cost of Ti and Carbon. Alum. and steel is far more stable. Its not going anywhere. If you want light and afforadble Al will be your only option soon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Dictionary of Disparaging Material Names

MB1 said:

I support my friends.
OK:

<b>Beer Can</b>=Aluminum
<b>Rust Bucket</b>=Steel
<b>Plastic</b>=Carbon Fibre
<b>Sand</b>=Titanium? (I'm a fan of sand, though I prefer to think of it as an M&M "m")

what about Magnesium?

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
I've been riding a TCR2 (alu frame) since July of 2003. Just hit 4100 miles.
Someone else here said they had several and one had something like
17-18000 miles on it.

I don't really see it going anywhere as it would be hard to destroy (maybe if
I hit it with a car or something).

I'm more concerned with the longevity of the carbon parts on the bike since I
hear so many here saying they need to be replaced regularly.

Those TCRs are Giants' bread and butter as far as road bikes go so I don't
see them going away any time soon but there's always e-bay if they do make
it go away.

I like my alu TCR but out of curiousity: why don't you like their carbon TCR?
A lot of riders rave about them. Me, I simply can't afford them but I was able
to afford the alu TCR.

·
On your left!
1,301 Posts
chbarr said:
OK:

<b>Beer Can</b>=Aluminum
<b>Rust Bucket</b>=Steel
<b>Plastic</b>=Carbon Fibre
<b>Sand</b>=Titanium? (I'm a fan of sand, though I prefer to think of it as an M&M "m")

what about Magnesium?
any more?

gas pipe = Cheap steel
bamboo = bamboo?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.