Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The overwhelming consensus for many years has been that carbon stems just didn't really provide any upgrade compared to aluminum. Has that changed at all? I've noticed a few more pro cyclists using carbon stems. I currently use aluminum, but I just ordered a chinese carbon stem from aliexpress simply out of curiosity.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
chinese carbon stem. does it come with a dental plan?

·
Registered
20,737 Posts
The overwhelming consensus for many years has been that carbon stems just didn't really provide any upgrade compared to aluminum. Has that changed at all? I've noticed a few more pro cyclists using carbon stems. I currently use aluminum, but I just ordered a chinese carbon stem from aliexpress simply out of curiosity.
What benefit do you think the Chinese carbon stem from aliexpress will have over your current aluminum one?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't. I just wanted to test it out. I'm planning on sticking with my aluminum. I wanted a -17* stem to try out and see how I like it. Will probably just throw it on and check it out on my trainer.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
If it was cheap enough, it might be a good way to determine how a -17 degree stem feels. (assuming you're already slammed, and want to get lower).
I bought a cheap aluminum stem to see how it felt to go to a 14, from a 13 (with a -10 degree stem).....It was better, so I kept it on the bike.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
The stem is such a small item that moving from aluminum to carbon will provide minimal, if any, weight savings and just as minimal vibration dampening. Get a new stem because you need to adjust your fit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Then why in the world did you buy it? To see what it looks like? Makes ZERO sense.
Because it was only $20 and it is a cheap way to try out a new stem length/angle. I'm also curious to test it out and see how bad (or maybe decent) it holds up and flexes. I've been pleasantly surprised by chinese carbon wheels before, but either way I've got a Pro Vibe 7s and an FSA OS-115 that I'll be using for real.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sorry guys, but those that say carbon stems don't provide any vibration dampening are people who haven't rode on one. Both of my road bikes went from nice ultra light alum stems to the same weight carbon stems. Same length and degree, both bikes are super smooth to ride on the roads and the vibration dampening was very noticeable.

I rode the one bike for month setup the same as the other bike other than the alum stem, then changed the stem out and could immediately tell a difference. I now run the same setup on both bikes, carbon bars and carbon stems. Numbness issues in my hands have became less as well.

While they are pricey and as said don't provide much of a weight savings, they do along with carbon bars dampen a considerable amount of vibration.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,954 Posts
Sorry guys, but those that say carbon stems don't provide any vibration dampening are people who haven't rode on one. Both of my road bikes went from nice ultra light alum stems to the same weight carbon stems. Same length and degree, both bikes are super smooth to ride on the roads and the vibration dampening was very noticeable.

I rode the one bike for month setup the same as the other bike other than the alum stem, then changed the stem out and could immediately tell a difference. I now run the same setup on both bikes, carbon bars and carbon stems. Numbness issues in my hands have became less as well.

While they are pricey and as said don't provide much of a weight savings, they do along with carbon bars dampen a considerable amount of vibration.
Try lowering your tire pressure.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am pretty sure riding lower than 90psi wont do much good for me nor would I want to chance destroying one of my carbon rims on the roads I am on either.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Get a good dental plan. Carbon stems can be crap (i.e made in Asia) or brilliant. Thing is a great one is going to cost a crap load of cash. I have a Time Monolink Ulteam. It dampens chatter big time and is the stiffest stem I've ever had (I've had pretty much everything) but it's eye watering expensive at $450 USD.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts