Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend seems to think so. I have never really thought about it till he mentioned. Apparently he joined a bunch of cycling clubs to meet people and make new friends. He has been in it for a while.

He says most cyclists do not want to talk at all. The more hard-core ones want to just go and keep the chit-chat to a minium. He is in pretty good shape and has been doing A/B rides and keeping up with them.

He also asked where are all the women? He says there are no women at all in the rides he has been. When you do find a woman, its like 1 woman and 10 men. He says the sport is completely male dominated.

Personally I do my own thing and ride by myself or occasionally in a pair with my friend but now that he has said it, I guess thats my experience too...

· Registered
8,116 Posts
No- those are only the friendly ones... the ones social enough to show up for club rides. You should see the cyclists who always ride solo! ;) They will rant on these forums for weeks if anyone uninvited tries drafting off them.

Seriously, I think many of us have noticed the same thing.

The best cycling friends I have met have been through other channels.

tincanman99 said:
My friend seems to think so. I have never really thought about it till he mentioned. Apparently he joined a bunch of cycling clubs to meet people and make new friends. He has been in it for a while.

He says most cyclists do not want to talk at all. The more hard-core ones want to just go and keep the chit-chat to a minium. He is in pretty good shape and has been doing A/B rides and keeping up with them.

He also asked where are all the women? He says there are no women at all in the rides he has been. When you do find a woman, its like 1 woman and 10 men. He says the sport is completely male dominated.

Personally I do my own thing and ride by myself or occasionally in a pair with my friend but now that he has said it, I guess thats my experience too...

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
tincanman99 said:

NO GO AWAY
:p

· Registered
11,555 Posts
On the contrary.

Many cyclists actually seek out company. When they spot another cyclist on the horizon, they chase him down so they extend a friendly hello, say a few words about the weather and something nice about his bike before they drop him. :p

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
wim said:
Many cyclists actually seek out company. When they spot another cyclist on the horizon, they chase him down so they extend a friendly hello, say a few nice words about the weather and compliment his bike before they drop him. :p
Thats usually what happens too. I think Campagnolo and Shimano should make some kind of electronic countermeasure device for high end bikes that emits an audible "beep..beep..beep" sound warning you that another cyclist has a "lock" on you. :D :D

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Too hard to talk when I'm climbing a 12% grade and trying not to puke over the bars. I'm doing good to blink in the direction of the other cyclist let alone wave or smile.

As for the girls, my wife rides and some of my friend's wives ride but there are only 2 single girls in our group (both pretty though) and when they show up the single guys chase them like a cat after a little mouse. Crazy.

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
croswell1 said:
Thats usually what happens too. I think Campagnolo and Shimano should make some kind of electronic countermeasure device for high end bikes that emits an audible "beep..beep..beep" sound warning you that another cyclist has a "lock" on you. :D :D
But I like chasing people down :(
Haha, we should just put radar on the bikes, and learn to identify anything but Cat. 5's. If it's a Cat. 1 chasing you, get a surprise flat :p

· Banned
4,302 Posts
tincanman99 said:

Yes now F*** off.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Many times I don't talk because I'm too busy trying to survive and suck wind (I think it's the place some people call "The Zone"). Otherwise I don't have any problems talking.

· Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
filtersweep said:
No- those are only the friendly ones... the ones social enough to show up for club rides. You should see the cyclists who always ride solo! ;) They will rant on these forums for weeks if anyone uninvited tries drafting off them.

Hey! I resemble that remark.......

· Banned
4,302 Posts
tincanman99 said:
I bet you can do a lot of other tricks with that hole between nose and chin too :eek:

Glad to see the observation was not unfounded ;)
Oh hell yeah. Lot's o tricks.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
The key is finding a group that isn't full of "racers." I ride with a group of about 10 regularly, and we are great friends and chat all the time. They are concerned with just getting out there and having fun. A couple of the guys regularly do over 10,000 miles a year, so they are definitely not casual about things. Just friendly.

· Registered
777 Posts
I think the most anti-social breed of cyclists are those who are in college.

Most of our friends are the guys we ride and race with. While the rest of our normal friends are partying Thursday-Saturday, we're usually training or racing our bikes.

When asked if we want to go to this party or that party, our lame reply is:

"I have a race tomorrow."

When our normal friends ask us what kind of race, we say:

" a bicycle race"

And then that reply is usualy met with some sneering, jeering, and a snicker. They then wish us good luck in the most sarcastic way while leaving us feeling lonely and socially inept.

And yes, we're all a bit artless when it comes to the female sex because we ride our bikes more than anything else. None of my cycling buddies have girlfriends. Most of the cyclists from other schools I know have no girlfriends either.

We, the cyclists in college, have come to accept our social quagmire.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.