Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My Ultegra 10speed shifters have just died after 2 years of use (Bit over 16,000km), and I am about to replace them. I run triple front so my options are 6603 and 7803 shifters.

My only concern is durability and I am quite dissapointed that my Ultegra shifters have only taken me thus far. I am willing to pay a premium for durability. I have not read anything definitive on this, hence my question:

Are Dura Ace shifters more durable than Ultegras?

Thank you all
f

·
Registered
663 Posts
FredBlack said:
Hi

My Ultegra 10speed shifters have just died after 2 years of use (Bit over 16,000km), and I am about to replace them. I run triple front so my options are 6603 and 7803 shifters.

My only concern is durability and I am quite dissapointed that my Ultegra shifters have only taken me thus far. I am willing to pay a premium for durability. I have not read anything definitive on this, hence my question:

Are Dura Ace shifters more durable than Ultegras?

Thank you all
f
In theory Dura Ace is at least as durable or is more durable than Ultegra. Still, you do get component failure from time to time that turns that assumption on its head. What is most surprising is that you only got 16,000 km from your Ultegra shifters. That's pretty poor by anyone's standards. What caused then to die?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Surprised they only lasted you that long - Ultegra's are supposed to be the workmans so I doubt DA would last longer. I have only go a few hundred miles on my DA while my 9 speed ultegra's have been round the block a few years with no problems. The other alternative would be a total group change to campy and they do out live shimano by quite a margin.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
My original Ultegra shifters (9 spd) lasted about 8 years, 20,000+ miles. Replaced them with Dura-Ace shifters that quit working after 1 year, 3,000 miles. Shimano replaced the DA shifters under warranty, but I was unpleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't quite know actually. All I know is that my shifting suddenly started acting funny. I was no longer getting a "click" when down shifting from 13 to 12 and from 12 to 11. I need to double shift down and one up everytime I need to downshift anywhere between the 14 and 11 cogs.

Cables are new and all. played around with the barrel adjusters. Nothing. Very frustrating.

gizzard said:
In theory Dura Ace is at least as durable or is more durable than Ultegra. Still, you do get component failure from time to time that turns that assumption on its head. What is most surprising is that you only got 16,000 km from your Ultegra shifters. That's pretty poor by anyone's standards. What caused then to die?

·
Use my Apps :)
1,010 Posts
FredBlack said:
I don't quite know actually. All I know is that my shifting suddenly started acting funny. I was no longer getting a "click" when down shifting from 13 to 12 and from 12 to 11. I need to double shift down and one up everytime I need to downshift anywhere between the 14 and 11 cogs.

Cables are new and all. played around with the barrel adjusters. Nothing. Very frustrating.
You might try flushing the mechanism heavily with a silicone spray. Perhaps there is some gunk/crud in the pawls inside. Some use WD40 but I don't like using it where they may be plastics involved inside. Sound's like you've nothing to lose by trying. Can't vouch for this but it sounds reasonable http://www.cycletrack.net/parts/lights/thread376.html

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
What I would do is shoot lots of WD 40 into your shifters. Then turn the bike upside down and shoot more WD 40 into the shifters. This trick often restores shifting performance. The factory grease in the shifters hardens and the WD 40 loosens the grease while removing dirt, and other crud.
My 1998 D-A shifters are still going strong. I've had to do the WD 40 trick twice and replace the cables and housings a few times.

Al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.