Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting tired of using my backpak to commute on my road bike, because it’s starting to get hot, and I don’t want to bring a sweaty stinky backpak into work, and my back gets sweaty.

I do have a back rack (not installed right now) with with a trek trunk bag. It works, but I find I can tell a difference in the weight of the bike and the way it handles.

I don’t carry much to work, just some tools, tube wallet, cell phone, glasses, shirt socks and underware. Maybe about 5 pounds of stuff max.

So is something wrong with handel bar bags?

They look big enough to carry what I need.

Why don’t I see more people using them?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Center of Gravity....Steering maybe?

Of course, most of what I see of handlebar bags is on ebay and all you can find are the big touring ones. All you really need is one of those small tubular shaped ones, like the vintage style. A little bag would be better than a large one, weightwise. Wouldn't be as wobbly.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I have a rack bag that I use to carry the same stuff you do. The only difference is that I stock up socks, tshirts, and underwear at work. On the way in, I carry my brown bag lunch. In the afternoon, I carry home dirty clothes. The bike does handle differently with a loaded rack bag, but I have adapted to it. I also have a large camelback that I wear once a week to stock up on clothes. I wouldn't want to wear it everyday because it is hot. I will say that the bike handles better without a loaded rack bag. The cool handlebar bags that I have seen have been too small to use them in place of a rack bag.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you're not trying to be a roadie from the get-go - and you're not with the backpack - you will suffer no further disdain from having a handlebar bag. I use a small one on my touring rig and find the plastic sleeve on top useful for keeping a map front and center.

However, I do find that a handlebar bag does noticeably adversely affect the aerodynamics of the bike. Perhaps if your're looking to store more gear, an oversized seat bag might work better.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I believe in being practical about commuting, so I built up a commuter out of spare parts- originally as a fixed gear until I moved into the land of vertical hills (a tossed a DT friction shifter so it doesn't care what wheels I use). Also, with commuting, it is an all-weather affair, and I don't want to subject my road bike to the abuses of the climate. Finally- risk of theft is much lower with a beater commuter.

My recommendation is to build up an old steel frame into a commuter and use panniers. You can haul all sorts of gear in them, and your back will thank you. You can add all sorts of dorky accessories, like lights and fenders- which you NEED if you commute in all conditions. Best of all, you won't worry about your bike while at work.

I know this isn't what you asked about....

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your on the mark.

filtersweep said:
I believe in being practical about commuting, so I built up a commuter out of spare parts- originally as a fixed gear until I moved into the land of vertical hills (a tossed a DT friction shifter so it doesn't care what wheels I use). Also, with commuting, it is an all-weather affair, and I don't want to subject my road bike to the abuses of the climate. Finally- risk of theft is much lower with a beater commuter.

My recommendation is to build up an old steel frame into a commuter and use panniers. You can haul all sorts of gear in them, and your back will thank you. You can add all sorts of dorky accessories, like lights and fenders- which you NEED if you commute in all conditions. Best of all, you won't worry about your bike while at work.

I know this isn't what you asked about....
Speaking of the devil...

I found a Fuji Sages 80s touring bike next to a dumpster. I've restored the frame, painted it, and cleaned all the parts. It's almost ready.

It will be my geek bike.

I will put every useless item known to man on it.

I still havent figure out where to mount the TV and 12" sub woofers, but I'm sure I'll figure something out... ;)

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
snapdragen said:
And dammit - DON'T FORGET THE PINK KITTY BAG!
You may laugh, but I'm just man enought to put that thing on my bike, if I didnt think one of my daughters would snag it from me ;)

·
Misfit Toy
23,437 Posts
KendleFox said:
You may laugh, but I'm just man enought to put that thing on my bike, if I didnt think one of my daughters would snag it from me ;)
I'd never laugh.......especially since I almost bought it for myself.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
I've got a front bag on my bike- it's actually pretty handy. This weekend, my wife and I were out riding and came across a plant sale- she was kinda sad because she thought we wouldn't be able to get anything- I was able to fit 3 pots in my front bag and 15 miles later when we got home they were still upright and none of the plants had been crushed.

So far, I've put between 5 and 10 pounds in the front bag and I've felt no real difference in handling. In the winter, the front bag made a nice sheild for my fingers to get them out of the wind.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.