Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys
I wanted to put these on my fixed IF
I can get them at a gerat price and thought the all balck look would match the white frame
But as these are dedicated track wheels am scared there stiffness will make the ride too stiff for general road riding

Is this the case and am I better with some handbuilts, or should I bike the bullet and go for maximum style points?!!!

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
They use sealed cartridge bearings so I guess they would be ok for commuting, I haven't ridden them so I can't comment on their stiffness. I think for maximum style points would be a matching white Phil Wood hubset with white Deep Vs or something.

One thing to consider is your weight and long term durability of the Ellipse spokes... if one breaks you might be without a wheel for a couple weeks if your LBS has to send them back to Mavic. Handbuilts can be fixed anywhere.

·
Fixed Geezer
76 Posts
I agree about the "special" nature of the spokes making repair difficult. However, I can't see any downside to any wheel being too stiff.

You don't get suspension effects from wheels. The stiffer the better, IMO.

If you want a smoother ride, run bigger tires, or run a steel frame instead of an aluminum frame. Wheels are not the place to be looking for suspension effects.

·
Registered
460 Posts
flyingscot said:
Guys
I wanted to put these on my fixed IF
I can get them at a gerat price and thought the all balck look would match the white frame
But as these are dedicated track wheels am scared there stiffness will make the ride too stiff for general road riding

Is this the case and am I better with some handbuilts, or should I bike the bullet and go for maximum style points?!!!
I don't know about the stiffness being a problem, I commute and have ridden a century on the 32 spoke Alex DA-16s that came on my Langster, and I am fine with them. For me, the issue is regular commuting on a wheelset that costs as much as a decent bike. At $450 on line, I am guess an ungodly steal might be $350, and where I commute I wouldn't want to risk that kind of money on lousy pavement, halfway bunny hops onto the curb to avoid death, that kind of thing.

Gordon

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
dagger said:
Yes wheels do have some apsects of "suspension". Increasing stiffness is not necessarily better for touring or commuting as it adds 'harshness" to your ride.

Lowering tire pressure or using larger tires can compensate for that if it is truly an issue.

My thinking for commuting is to use so old ratty wheels to deter theft.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Agreed: it's not the performance of those wheels, it's whether a high-zoot wheelset, screaming deal or not, is worthy of a commuter bike. To each his/her own, I suppose, but to me commuter parts should be about dependability and utility first, other concerns a distant second.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.