Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early this week I'm doing an easy 35mi ride on our MUT. I'm doing 16.5mph ave, nothing fast and being very patient with walkers/runners. I shouldn't be riding that fast anyway unless I have an open section of trail. Anyway I'm just pedaling nice and easy when a tri guy literally buzzes me (being pretty rude in my opinion). The opposite side of the trail was open so he could have swung around me without being so close. That made me go hard for a brief period of time to catch him but I slowed down because my goal was to keep my heart rate around 150bpm. He was moving pretty fast on the trail (I'd say at least 25mph). I eventually caught him at an intersection not because I went faster but because the light is at a major intersection. Next, I decided to try and keep pace with him (ride his wheel for a bit) until he slowed down and told me to pass. I told him that I was fine and told him he could keep going. That is when he got shi++y with me and said "you aren't going to use me as a slipstream BOY!!!" I told him to chill and learn some manners. Now I'm a 40yr young kid and he may have been around 10yrs older than me. He was riding in and out of people riding very fast on his Tri Cervelo. He should have been somewhere else training because our MUT is not really designed for fast training. It is best used for light easy riding and sometimes fast paces when it is not so busy.

Are tri guys that arrogant? jerks? This guy sure was...

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
ncvwnut said:
Early this week I'm doing an easy 35mi ride on our MUT. I'm doing 16.5mph ave, nothing fast and being very patient with walkers/runners. I shouldn't be riding that fast anyway unless I have an open section of trail. Anyway I'm just pedaling nice and easy when a tri guy literally buzzes me (being pretty rude in my opinion). The opposite side of the trail was open so he could have swung around me without being so close. That made me go hard for a brief period of time to catch him but I slowed down because my goal was to keep my heart rate around 150bpm. He was moving pretty fast on the trail (I'd say at least 25mph). I eventually caught him at an intersection not because I went faster but because the light is at a major intersection. Next, I decided to try and keep pace with him (ride his wheel for a bit) until he slowed down and told me to pass. I told him that I was fine and told him he could keep going. That is when he got shi++y with me and said "you aren't going to use me as a slipstream BOY!!!" I told him to chill and learn some manners. Now I'm a 40yr young kid and he may have been around 10yrs older than me. He was riding in and out of people riding very fast on his Tri Cervelo. He should have been somewhere else training because our MUT is not really designed for fast training. It is best used for light easy riding and sometimes fast paces when it is not so busy.

Are tri guys that arrogant? jerks? This guy sure was...
You went out of your way and caught up with him just because he passed you close?
I personally don't care how fast/close other cyclist pass me on the trail as long as they don't cause an accident. I also don't ride in somebody else's slipstream.
Just because you encountered a tri guy with lack of common courtesy doesn't make other tri people jerks. Heck, he might be posting an exact same thread about a roadie who ride his in his slipstream without his consent

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Yes. And all roadies are pr*cks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
That guy's an idiot. Unless the MUT's just about empty, a cyclist should never be riding that fast. And on a TT bike? When your on the aerobars you don't have imediate access to the brake levers and your bike handling is a little diminished. You want to train? Find a road. There are plenty of them around.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Anyone riding a fast training ride on a MUT is a freakin’ douchebag—that’s what roads are for. Next time, jam a pipe in his spokes as he rides past.

·
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cpark said:
You went out of your way and caught up with him just because he passed you close?
I personally don't care how fast/close other cyclist pass me on the trail as long as they don't cause an accident. I also don't ride in somebody else's slipstream.
Just because you encountered a tri guy with lack of common courtesy doesn't make other tri people jerks. Heck, he might be posting an exact same thread about a roadie who ride his in his slipstream without his consent

As my post said, I decided not to pursue. I ended up catching him by chance. I never even had the chance to ride in his slipstream. If someone wants to draft, I personally don't care. I make sure I'm aware of where he is and I also use hand signals to let him know what I'm doing. I'm well aware that that tri people aren't jerks except when I see them riding. Many of the riders I encounter don't mind someone riding behind them, even if we aren't drafting. I do have a problem with another cyclist passing me too close and at high speeds without letting me know. How do they know if I don't make a quick move in their path? The rider in front has the right of way regardless of vehicle. We tend to forget that little bit of info.

·
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leopold Porkstacker said:
Anyone riding a fast training ride on a MUT is a freakin’ douchebag—that’s what roads are for. Next time, jam a pipe in his spokes as he rides past.
I thought about it. The speed limit is 20mph. I've been guilty of riding faster than that but that is when have my lane to myself for a short period of time.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
used to ride with several tri people when I lived in a small town a few years back...liked most of them but a few were astoundingly selfish people, two of the ladies dumped their husbands (and kids) so they could train more...one had three grade school age (or younger) kids the other had five. Knew both of the dumpee's (one was a coworker) and they seemed like very decent guys, one of the ladies did go on to win the local tri though...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
From when I used to do triathlons, they were all very cool actually. In this case sounds like he is an unsafe rider, not cool. In regards to your MUTs, it made me realize how lucky we are in Albuquerque, on our trails you could do close to a century at time trial speed with minimal exceptions, slow down just a few seconds at a time (and only a few times) on the busiest days. We are spoiled!

·
Banned
265 Posts
in all fainress you should hav easked to be on his wheel, he had a right be be a prick when he called you out, but ygoign to fast on that sort of trailis lame.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
No, most tri guys aren't jerks. Neither are roadies, mountain bikers, car drivers, students, teachers, businessmen, women, teenagers, or any other group you can mention. Stereotyping people is hurtful, untrue, and bigoted.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
No, most tri guys aren't jerks. Neither are roadies, mountain bikers, car drivers, students, teachers, businessmen, women, teenagers, or any other group you can mention. Stereotyping people is hurtful, untrue, and bigoted.
ummm...that is waaay more than a bit naive...some sports, cars, locations, etc, DO attract a disproportionate amount of jerks...things that people have no choice over (i.e. race, origin, sex, orientation, etc.) are another matter

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
There are jerks everywhere. I've been a jerk many times. I wouldn't ride on a MUT at high speed unless it was empty and I certainly wouldn't chase a jerk just because he was being himself. If I was out for a hard ride which it sounds like this guy was, I certainly wouldn't want a wheelsucker who refused to pull through or pass. I would probably start riding the edges of potholes, random speed changes, etc. That would be me being a jerk.

·
Registered
482 Posts
ncvwnut said:
Many of the riders I encounter don't mind someone riding behind them, even if we aren't drafting.
Sounds like a typical freeway... car 1 passes car 2 swiftly. Car 2 then rides car 1 on bumper. Now back to cycling... It is common courtesy to left the rider in front know or even ask if you can ride his slipstream. I wouldn't feel comfortable someone of a sudden sneaks behind me. Now back to your real question.... Are tri's jerks? That's just one data point you encountered today, but in general... yes... just like roadies.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
no, generally we're not. you just happened to run into a jerk on a tri bike.

anyone going faster than 15 on a MUT should get stabbed(that's a lounge joke BTW)

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
There's no difference between roadies and tri-geeks; you'll find jerks in both flavors. You're not in a position of authority to enforce MUT behavior so don't bother. And as for the slipstream part of the story-once he passed you then it's clear he's riding faster than you were. I don't care whether you caught him a stop or not; it's clear you both had different agendas that day. So don't all of a sudden up your speed to ride his draft; what you had there is a little testosterone flowing, right? Next, inviting yourself onto someone else's wheel is the same as entering their house uninvited. DON'T DO IT.

If you didn't have the legs to crush him on the MUT, and if you could'nt find it possible to abandon your manners long enough to engage in poor behavior on said MUT, then let him go and be the better cyclist for it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It depends.

Did he wave at you as he went past?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts