Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a bike with used Ksyrium SSC wheels. I also have a bike with Open Pros and DA hubs. I was working on the bikes last night and had them side by side and upside down. I spun the front wheel of the OPs and the SSCs at the same time and noticed the SSCs stopped rotating long before the OPs.

Does this mean the SSC bearings/hubs are inferior to the DAs and less efficient thus causing one to expend more energy? Not that it's a big deal but for the price of the SSCs I would expect the opposite.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
dasho said:
I recently bought a bike with used Ksyrium SSC wheels. I also have a bike with Open Pros and DA hubs. I was working on the bikes last night and had them side by side and upside down. I spun the front wheel of the OPs and the SSCs at the same time and noticed the SSCs stopped rotating long before the OPs.

Does this mean the SSC bearings/hubs are inferior to the DAs and less efficient thus causing one to expend more energy? Not that it's a big deal but for the price of the SSCs I would expect the opposite.
coulda spun the ssc's not as hard :confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
There could be a lot of reasons, seals causing drag, different bearing setup (cartridge vs cup/cone). I don't think there is a huge amount of relationship between how long they will spin unloaded and performance when loaded (with weight).

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
You can't tell anything about a hub/bearings by spinning it on a workstand or in your hand. The bearings need to be under their designed load, i.e. on the road with someone's corpus on the bike.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Yes and no

As others have pointed out, you may not have spun the wheels the same and you may not have them adjusted the same. In addition, one may have thicker grease than the other. Most likely cause is that the MAVIC bearing seals are creating some drag that the DA wheels don't have. However, a side by side coast down is the only way to tell if that amount of friction has any meaning in the real world. That said, the DA is likely at least as good a hub as the MAVIC, and probably better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts