·
Registered
10,160 Posts
4.8mm...

DIRT BOY said:
with Campy Shifting housing?
Is Campy housing 4 or 5mm?

Thanks!
Campy housing is 4.8mm, but the housing OD is not as important as the diameter of the ferrules at the end. A campy ferrule is about .225 inch in diameter (5.7mm). A campy ferrule won't fit on a 5mm housing. I've used generic 5mm housing with matching ferrules with no problem.

The other dimension of importance is the cable OD, that 1.27mm or .050 inch. Most universal cables are listed as 1.2mm diameter.

Power Cordz also sells a complete kit with their cable housing.

http://www.wisecyclebuys.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=432

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I know power crodz now have thier own housing, but my campy cables are like new (3 months old) and I wanted just to switch the inner cable. So I looks like it should work and use a 5mm ferrule.

I would hate to get ride of some new housing. If I switch housing, I would rather use Transfil Flying Snake housing as it's lighter :rolleyes:.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
http://www.iodupont.com/images/Power Cordz Compatibility List.pdf

Here's a link to their website and compatability. I used the QBP carbon housing to put the shift cables on my ergo's. The do work very well. I spoke with Tony DuPont and he will be releasing a Campy compatible brake cable sometime this year. There are some modifications you can make to have Power Cordz brake cables but I'll just wait until the right ones come out. To save some typing if your interested in using the brake only here's a link to the same question answered on Weight Weenies:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=132785#132785

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Juan,

Thanks! I know about the Campy brake cable coming and I look foward to it. I just to see if anyone ran it with campy housing.

I been meaning to buy soem and carry these for a while, but I run discs on the MTB and SRAM twisties.

So I figured I might as well try on the Roadie. Tony informed me about how to modify them and I can use ZG brakes. BUT like you I am going to wait.

Maybe I will just wait until the brakes ones are available, then just switch both over at the same time and replace the housing too. Then if I don't care for them, I could always go back to Campy.

besides being lighter, I like the idea of not using steel. I ride mainly next to the ocean and the salty air can wreak havoc on cables if they are not constanly cleaned and the exposed cable kept oiled. Yes even SS cables seem to rust and corode just slighty.

I always thought SS can't rust.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
Juan,

Thanks! I know about the Campy brake cable coming and I look foward to it. I just to see if anyone ran it with campy housing.

I been meaning to buy soem and carry these for a while, but I run discs on the MTB and SRAM twisties.

So I figured I might as well try on the Roadie. Tony informed me about how to modify them and I can use ZG brakes. BUT like you I am going to wait.

Maybe I will just wait until the brakes ones are available, then just switch both over at the same time and replace the housing too. Then if I don't care for them, I could always go back to Campy.

besides being lighter, I like the idea of not using steel. I ride mainly next to the ocean and the salty air can wreak havoc on cables if they are not constanly cleaned and the exposed cable kept oiled. Yes even SS cables seem to rust and corode just slighty.

I always thought SS can't rust.
I suspect that Campy housings might be problematic. I run Powercordz w/ my Record 10, and the housings are Shimano. Jason at Fairwheel Bikes did the install (I don't mind installing regular cables, but I didn't want to f*ck up the Powercordz). He does a fair number of Powercordz installs....so I figure he musta had a reason for not using the Campy housings.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Maybe I will just wait or get some Jagwire or Transfill 5mm housing to be safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts