Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Shimano chains, HG 93 and HG 72 (or something close to that) and both have frozen links. They're on road bikes used for commuting, I keep them lubed and soak them in homebrew off the bike every few months, but both have a few links that no longer flex much, causing the chain to skip as it goes through the rear derailleur/cassette. The bikes do at times hang from the garage ceiling for a few weeks at a time without being used, when I'm riding another bike, and I live in humid Va Beach, but it doesn't seem like they should freeze like they do. Any ideas as to what's happening here?

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Shimano chains are an industry standard.

I am not sure what's happening here, but I am fairly confident the fault is not with the chain.

Garage ceilings in VA beach are quite hard on many bike parts -- it's going to be really hard to keep rust from accumulating.

I might even go crazy and buy a Wipperman all-stainless chain -- beware, they are noisy.

One other note, if you are installing the chains yourself -- 9- and 10- speed s/o chains are failry sensitive to the pin being pushed in all the way, but not too far.

I have to make sure that the "joined" section is smooth after connecting it, sometimes it takes gently pushing with my thumbs.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
It's just you.

Using Dura Ace 9 speed chains with SRAM quick link for quite a while with no issues. Do you have a cahin tool and do you know how to use it to loosen a tight link?

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
links are rusty

frdfandc said:
Are the links that are binding rusty?
Yeah, there is some rust between the plates of the links, which is a likely culprit. It's not the replacement pin, as I've been using an SRAM master link to join the ends, and 3-4 links are frozen. I talked to a bike shop mechanic and he thought that soaking a chain in homebrew (3 parts mineral spirits, 1 part motor oil) wasn't such a great idea. He thought doing this removes lubrication within the links and contributes to freezing. I'd never heard of this happening with homebrew. It may be the VA humidity, as I didn't have this problem when we lived in Oregon 2 yrs ago. Of course the chains were 2 yrs "younger" then too.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Salt air + steel = rust. Any carbon steel chain will do that. I think I would try a thicker lube than home brew. You want something that will coat the steel and stick, not evaporate. Maybe some straight 5w20.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Nothing wrong with your homebrew at all. I use almost exactly the same thing. But soaking in that is not going to free up stuck links. You need to prevent the rust in the first place, and clean it up when it's there. Think wire brush and solvents for cleaning, then make sure it is dry, then lube.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
If the bikes are in storage for weeks at a time, take the chains off the bike and store them in plastic bags after soaking them in lube. This will keep the moisture off the chains and preventing rust from forming.

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
Have peeled plates off on them 2x. Went to KMC X10SL chains on both bikes some time ago. Nary a problem. Don't even carry spare pieces as I had to do with the DA/XTR chains.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
frdfandc said:
If the bikes are in storage for weeks at a time, take the chains off the bike and store them in plastic bags after soaking them in lube. This will keep the moisture off the chains and preventing rust from forming.
Thinking more about it, this is one place where WD40 or a similar silicone based lube has value. It is good at displacing water (hence the WD). I would spray my chain with the stuff post ride prior to storage.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Shimano chains are crap compared to Campy chains, which are also lighter. Campy chains -under the same conditions- last up to 3x than Shimano chains.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Have you tried to take a flat blade screw driver? Insert the blade between the links & twist. Use some lube and flex the link. It might take a few times & a little patience, but IME it almost always works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts