Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 8 years of riding with 9 speed Ultegra, I've used only Ultegra chains, aside from a brief try of a Wipperman stainless, which broke on me. I am now trying a SRAM PC991 chain. I like the Powerlink, but the chain seems way too noisy. I have a 39-53 double, a 12-27 cassette, and I use home brew 3:1 for lube. Has anyone else had this experience or is it just me? Does anyone have experience/advice about using the SRAM Powerlink on Shimano chains?

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
if you can hear your chain you are not riding hard enough! j/k

I have never noticed a difference between chains noise. Have a shimano one right now and I think it is noisiest chain I have used in a long time but I am using a wax lube for summer right now and I think it is melting off or something. Not lubriciousness for my tastes I guess.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I used a SRAM top-of-the-line 9-speed chain. Never again, everything was dialed in on my Dura Ace 9-speed drivetrain - but I felt like I was driving a Mack truck with a busted transmission. I think the SRAM 9-speed chains are a little bit wider - of course, the PowerLink connector might be the difference.

I rode the SRAM 9-speed chain for two weeks, and then replaced it with a brand-spanking new Dura Ace chain. I will never go back to SRAM chains - most Pro teams who use SRAM as their gruppo put Dura Ace chains despite the hassle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.