Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been trying to look for wireless cyclocomputers that do not have the gadget hooked up onto the fork. I am looking for one that is hooked up at the chainstay.

Can't find one yet.

Basically I am looking for one that can showup candance and speed, wirelesly. I don't need that heart rate monitor stuff... Oh yeah and preffereably once that can mount on the stem or right in the middle of the handle bars.

THANK YOU!

· Registered
252 Posts
Why would you prefer it on the back? Just seems that the front is more logical, b/c at the back it is more likely to get bumped when you remove the wheel.

Anyway, surely any wireless sensor can just be mounted at the rear instead of the front and still work?

· Registered
380 Posts
Cateye V3. It's wireless, has a single sensor that mounts to the chainstay to measure speed and cadence, and the computer has a stem mount. It does have a heartrate monitor, though.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
1stmh said:
Anyway, surely any wireless sensor can just be mounted at the rear instead of the front and still work?
Not neccesarily. An analog wireless computer may not. Analog signals have to be very low-powered in order to avoid "cross talk" and, as a result, only transmit over ~20" or so. Digital signals, on the other hand, can be much stronger because they're encoded and will transmit over as much as 5'. Check the computer specs to be sure.

If you want to mount a wireless computer to the seatstay (for trainer use, for example), look for a digital computer. I use the VDO C3 DS and like it very much.

· Coffee Lover
297 Posts
I know a few folks who have been disappointed with their wireless units that mounted in the rear - loss of signal, accuracy issues, etc. Not enough bang for their buck.

If you opt for wired over wireless, the Cateye Strada Cadence mounts on the stem or bar and the sensors mount back on the chainstay. There are 2 sensors, but they run to a single wire. Install is easy and it runs around $50. Performance has it for $35, but they're out of stock until the end of October.

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I have a WinTech. Good stuff.

ONLY issue(s) I have are 1. you need to move the skewer between wheelsets, and 2. you can't see ride time and speed at the same time.

Recommended, but spendy

M

· Cpark
2,106 Posts
1stmh said:
Why would you prefer it on the back? Just seems that the front is more logical, b/c at the back it is more likely to get bumped when you remove the wheel.

I'm guessing the OP wants to use it when the bike is on the trainer......

· Registered
10,161 Posts
PowerTap..

Try a PowerTap wheel sometime. If you're serious about training, you get HR, cadence and most importantly POWER readings. Once you've got power information you can actually tell if your training really results in improvement. All the electronics are in the rear hub and transmit to the handlebar mounted computer, wirelessly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.