Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, what ones.

I have a couple of bikes that I find it very difficult to use a full frame pump on, only partly because there is no pump peg.

What mini-pumps are there that will actually fully inflate a tire?

·
naranjito
785 Posts
I use one of these: http://www.bellatisport.com/shop/category/27/product/98/Sapo_Mini_Aria.html
Takes a bit of pumping, but it'll get enough pressure to finish my ride without any problems or get to the next petrol station (I also carry a prest-schraeder adaptor). They're cheap, fit nicely beside a water bottle or in a pocket, and work more than adequately for my needs. I'm sure there are better mini pumps out there though, but not this cheap.

foz

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Crank Bros. Mini Pump Pro. That sucker is nearly bombproof. It's about 6" tall and fits in the jersey pocket no problem.

Gauge is a nice addition, though you can same some cash if you get the one without.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
From experience, the Barberi Carb One and Titan One work well, though they're sometimes hard to find here. I've heard good things about the Topeak micro, and the new Genuine Innovations hybrid pumps seem decent, though that's not from experience.

A couple of points to help in the looking: Volume in the head matters, so forget any model that is convertable or otherwise able to work Shraeder stems. Ones with hold-down levers aren't typically as efficient as press-on models, and while they seem convenient, models with hoses often have volume-loss problems. You want a fairly small diameter (say, finger-size) barrel. On the head end, look for enough material past the chuck so that the head can be braced against something solid while pumping.

Much can be said for using them well. A lot of folks who deride minis simply don't use them to best effect, or try to use low-pressure leftovers from their mtb days. It's important to get the most out of each stroke - definitely all the way out, but especially all the way in at the bottom. With a mini, it's too easy to end the stroke against the backpressure of the air, and not get anything into the tire. That's why laying the wheel down and bracing the head against something solid is a useful design feature. Unfortunately, the heads on many are too short, meaning you have to find something (rock, curb) to work against or risk damaging the stem.

An alternative is to work with the big muscles of the legs by working between the knees, almost like dancing the Charleston. Looks goofy, but it's a bunch more effective (and less tiring) than trying to use the wimpy muscles of the arms.

Finally, you are familiar with using a zip tie as an aftermarket pump peg, yes? Just another option for the dyed-in-the-wool frame pump user.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have a look at the topeak pumps

I use the topeak morph pumps. They are great they have a hose so you don't have to worry about the valve moving to much and breaking while inflating. They also have a flip out foot pad, this allows you to really put some actual pressure in the tire. They also come with a plastic mount you can stick on any frame tube with some large zip ties. The customer service is also top notch. I have lost/broken parts to my pump before and topeak gets me new parts(free of charge). These are the only pumps I use, and just bought another one to replace the one I left on the back of the car.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
top Peak Micro Rocket

I am really impressed with this small pump. I bought it because it looked good on my carbon frame bike and honestly didn't think the performance would be that good. (Seeing as I rarely get more than a couple miles from a gas station, I really didn't think it mattered much).
I can pump up to 80 plus pounds with this thing no problem. It's actually the best bike mounted pump I have ever used. Super light weight and small. it wasn't cheap at around $40.00 bucks

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,937 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I have a Leyzne road drive..

Rubi13 said:
I just saw the new line of mini-pumps from Lezyne www.lezyne.com

They seem very impressive, and have a model that claims 160psi

I bought the Leyzne Road Drive (all aluminum). It takes about 200 strokes to get up to 100 PSI, but I use a mini with c02 anyway. I don't think the link show the Road Drive. I bought mine at Icycles. You will have to put Leynze Road Drive in their search function to find it.

The best part is since I bought it, I have not had to use it.

I pack a full length Blackburn Carbon on my other bike.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
martinrjensen said:
That's pretty funny
At least we do what we preach. Isn't that the important part? :D

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Barberi Carb One and the Topeak Micro Rocket Carbon are both excellent.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Topeak micro pocket is the best that I found, and I've tried many. No problem getting 80 psi in a tire and fast too, very little effort. Small enough to fit in my bike bag. I use with a Co2. I put in 20-30 psi with the topeak then top off with the Co2. I get 100-110 psi in a 700x23 tire. I had a Co2 pump explode on me once. So its nice to have 2 pumps.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I use Co2 and back up with a Blackburn Air Stik Pump.

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Barbieri carbon or titanium. Inexpensive. When you have it in your hand the first time, it feels like a cheap piece of plastic. But it can inflate a tire to higher pressure than everything else I've tried. Including the topeak mini-morph or whatever it's called.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
I have 2. The topeak micro rocket carbon, which works quite well (I've had to use it a couple of times). The other one is a Quicker. That is a monster. Inflates faster (or quicker) than just about anything else I've used out on the road except co2. But, it's heavier and a bit bulkier than all the other mini pumps, although it will still fit in a jersey pocket (but you'll know its there).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts