Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Just.. a guy..
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am completely behind the need for padding and non chafing shorts. Is there any longer or baggy shorts?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just check out mountain bike shorts. Padded and longer normal looking shorts together. Sounds like what you are looking for.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Specialized and many other brands make a "man-pris" that has a removable synthetic chamois.

·
Registered
170 Posts
IgottaMiyata said:
So i am completely behind the need for padding and non chafing shorts. Is there any longer or baggy shorts?
I wear MB shorts, too. You might also check out padded cycling undies (Andiamo is probably the best-known brand). They work pretty well, and you can wear them under any street shorts. I used to commute in them when I had a job where I could work in shorts.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
baggy shorts

If you're "really riding" a road bike, they just look silly, and the bagginess can catch on the nose of the saddle as you stand and sit.

If you're JRA it can be nice to have something between serious cycling clothes and just jeans, though.

They are some brands that are longer than others, though, and there are full tights and 3/4 length "knickers" available if you like.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
I have some MTB shorts for commuting, and also for biking to places where skin-tight spandex is not in the dress code. Nothing wrong with that...although, while I don't care much about looking silly, Argentius is right that the bagginess is counterproductive if you're really exerting on the bike in an aerodynamic sense, and even potentially dangerous when you have to get in and out of the saddle quickly and smoothly.

I look for the MTB shorts that have a sort of spandex liner that contains the chamois and is sewed onto the body of the shorts reasonably closely: this feels more 'normal', and also keeps them from completely parachuting and creating wind resistance on the calmest of days:).

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
Argentius said:
If you're "really riding" a road bike, they just look silly, and the bagginess can catch on the nose of the saddle as you stand and sit.

If you're JRA it can be nice to have something between serious cycling clothes and just jeans, though.

They are some brands that are longer than others, though, and there are full tights and 3/4 length "knickers" available if you like.
Putting the "looks" thing aside (as looks is a relative opinion), I know when riding with baggy shorts on my MTB at high speed on pavement, they get blown up by the oncoming wind.

For roading, I'll definitely be getting a pair of padded cycling shorts, but will be wearing a pair of loose fit (while not baggy) shorts over them like these Under Armours or maybe another pair that are very closely fitted.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
C'mon...unless you have the tight stuff you won't be accosted by weirdos at the bottom of a big hill asking what kind of seat you have.

·
MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
991 Posts
My son wears Zoic MTB shorts even when he rides road. That's his personal choice. They are versitile because the have a liner with a chamois that is similar to the lycra road shorts, but it is detachable from the shorts so you can ride with padding or without. He rode the other day without the liner, and a few days later he said never again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts