Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have absolutely no interest in bidding for these things, they are just one of those things that makes you go Hmmmm. From each of these, I get a creepy feeling about them, and the greasy auction description just adds to the Hmmm factor. Anyone have any insights or ideas?

http://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-RARE-CASA-...220048024QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/INCREDIBLY-RARE...219834132QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I like his "you will probably never see another one of these" comment. Right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like a crapweasel to me. If the bikes had any intrinsic value it would speak for itself; it wouldn't need a carnival barker to establish their pedigrees. The fact that a thing is uncommon doesn't necessarily make it desireable.

Also, I could whip up a set of plausible esoteric-looking frame decals for a few bucks, slap 'em on a UO-8, engage in some creative writing and end up with pretty much what we have here.

Jus' sayin'...

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
elvisVerde said:
I like his "you will probably never see another one of these" comment. Right.
yeah, i've sold some "never seen before" bikes that were pretty well built but name brand always brings in more $$ even if it's lesser quality.

I just sold a "Roth" frame with GP wilson drop-outs, very nice frame and fork on the bay for $80. wish i could've gotten more but.. yet i sold a bianchi NR12vel. frame for almost $200 and i would say the Roth was by far a better quality bike. but who's ever seen or heard of Roth?

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
mswantak said:
Sounds like a crapweasel to me. If the bikes had any intrinsic value it would speak for itself; it wouldn't need a carnival barker to establish their pedigrees. The fact that a thing is uncommon doesn't necessarily make it desireable.

Also, I could whip up a set of plausible esoteric-looking frame decals for a few bucks, slap 'em on a UO-8, engage in some creative writing and end up with pretty much what we have here.

Jus' sayin'...
Except for the internal routing in the Columbus SL tubeset on one and the aero tubing on the other. Nice frames for sure, cinelli lugs, campy drops, columbus tubing, but nothing really special. Models like this were built by shops all around the world. Now if this was one of those sold under the Paris Sport name out of the New Jersey shop that would be something else. It all comes down to the builder in this case. Paris Sport had Cuevas, Moulton and others brazing away as one point or another. Not to mention those that just rented the space to build frames down there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your comments are a good example of what I was saying. Being obviously knowledgeable, you're looking past the auction copy at the frames themselves. They may be perfectly wonderful frames, but the seller plainly doesn't know that for sure despite trying hard to establish his bona fides at the top of the copy. He's got a couple steaks of unknown origin, and is trying to sell the sizzle instead.

But what the heck; there's a suck-- ah, er... I mean Japanese collector born every minute, and I'd much rather see them buy these bikes than something legitimate.

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
mswantak said:
Your comments are a good example of what I was saying. Being obviously knowledgeable, you're looking past the auction copy at the frames themselves. They may be perfectly wonderful frames, but the seller plainly doesn't know that for sure despite trying hard to establish his bona fides at the top of the copy. He's got a couple steaks of unknown origin, and is trying to sell the sizzle instead.

But what the heck; there's a suck-- ah, er... I mean Japanese collector born every minute, and I'd much rather see them buy these bikes than something legitimate.
And besides those 5 or so guys have more than enough money to burn. I remember looking at their ebay profiles last year and staring in amazement at the price for 1st gen campy S.R NOS and NOS maillard hubs.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey it's ebay, it can get far worse. As long as the size is stated correctly, any damage is noted and there's plenty of large clear pictures the rest does not matter. People don't read anyway. Yes, this guy's sales pitch should come with a barf bag but so should have a lot of the original sales pitches that went with high end bikes at the bike store when new.

You can clearly see from the photos in the ad what the quality of these bikes are so what's the problem. You need to rely on your own knowledge, not what an ebay seller conjures up for sales pitch. If you think a UO8 with some fancy decals is the same thing as these frames then you need to educate yourself quite a bit before you make any purchases off ebay.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
In 2 minutes plat I found the shop near Cadiz whose name this frame bears. I merely searched casa pino bicicletas.

BICILETAS CASA PINO
GENERAL CASTAÑO, 57
11201 ALGECIRAS (CADIZ)
Tfno: 956653907
Fax: 956653907

So Mr Ebayer sounds a bit of an idiot to me. Or he just didn't look!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.